The Caterer, Sub-Editor
- Full Time
The Caterer, which is part of an exciting and dynamic independently owned media business operating from central London, is seeking a layout sub-editor to support the production of its multi-media portfolio of products.
- To sub-edit, layout and upload copy for The Caterer group’s online and print publications.
- To ensure accuracy, quality and relevance in editorial output across the magazines, websites and other digital platforms.
- To produce finished pages for the magazines and websites in the correct format and to the agreed deadlines.
- To take on new production tasks as our digital products evolve, such as our daily e-newsletter. This may include video/audio production and basic coding tasks in, for example, HTML, CSS and Flash.
- The sub-editor will report to the deputy production editor and will support all aspects of producing editorial in print, online and digital formats.
- The sub-editor will be flexible in the products that they work on and proactive in completing production tasks across all areas of the portfolio.
- Copy will be processed in accordance with The Caterer standard editorial workflow.
- Layout pages in InDesign following the established style of the magazines, source images and complete Photoshop tasks such as ensuring CMYK settings and print-quality resolution on images.
- Write headlines, standfirsts and create relevant links to other stories in the magazine and online. All headlines etc should be written to maximise value to the core readership.
- Edit stories in line with the prescribed style, maximising their value and relevance to the readership. Flag-up quality and accuracy issues to the deputy production editor and content producers.
- Proofread pages for print and web to prevent the publication of factual or grammatical errors. This task will involve checking facts with journalists and from other sources as necessary. Particular attention will be given to preventing legal liability.
- Follow SEO best practice to populate web pages with relevant keywords and links to both The Caterer group content and external information sources. Ensure headlines are written to maximise their visibility to search engines and attract hits via RSS feeds and social media.
- Tag stories to the appropriate channels and topics and upload copy to the websites.
- As online publishing evolves, the junior sub-editor will be required to edit, upload and maintain content such as picture galleries, landing pages, blog posts, videos and podcasts as they are added to The Caterer’s content offering.
- The sub-editor will be proactive in developing new skills and supporting the goals of the business.
- Demonstrable journalism training or one to two years’ relevant experience
- Examples of print or online work
- Examples of use of social media
Apply by completing the application form below.
Apply for The Caterer, Sub-Editor
Already uploaded your CV? Sign in to apply instantly