ASOS, Senior Editor, Menswear
The role: Senior Editor, Menswear
Who does it report to: Head of Content, Menswear
Direct Reports: MW Editorial Assistant
Where is it based: Greater London House, Mornington Crescent, London
The hours: 9.00am – 5.30pm (Monday to Thursday)
9.00am – 5.00pm (Friday)
The Story so far…
ASOS burst on to the scene in 2000 and hasn’t looked back. We are the UK’s number one fashion and beauty destination, and as a recent survey showed, we are the second most visited fashion website on the planet. We ship to over 190 countries and also have specific sites targeting the USA, French and German, Italian and Australian markets. With much excitement we opened our office in Sydney in January 2012 and New York in September 2012, France and Germany following soon after. This is all part of our strategy, which we call ASOS Future.
Our ambition is to be the world’s no.1 online fashion brand for 20-somethings, having set ourselves a target to reach £1bn annual sales by 2015. Therefore it is really important to us that we continue to attract top talent across the globe to help us realise our goals.
The ASOS Way
We do things a certain way - The ASOS Way. It’s our DNA and runs through every single thing we do here - it defines who we are, what we do and how we do it. Some things change, these don’t.
We are Passionate; we are proud to be a part of ASOS, we always give our best and we celebrate our successes.
We are Customer Obsessed; we know our customers love fashion and we understand what they want, we know our stuff inside and out, we put our customers at the heart of everything we do.
We Restlessly Innovate; we don’t stand still, we give it a go and we’re brave.
We are Collaborative and Respectful; We work together to get the job done, we grow ideas from within, we make things happen and we do the right thing.
People are the future of our business and we have really big ideas. We know we need people who can turn these ideas into reality – it’s our people that make the difference.
A bit about the Team:
Reporting to the Head of Content, Menswear, this role sits within the marketing department, specifically within the Menswear Content team and is supported by the Editor and Editorial Assistant.
The Senior Editor works with the international editors, as well as the Marketing, Creative and Development teams.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Act as a deputy to Head of Content, Menswear when required, and provide daily support. Help craft a culture that is positive, professional and ambitious for the brand.
- Work with the MW Editorial team to manage the MW editorial output, delivering content for campaigns, social, newsletters, website and commercial.
- Manage the editorial assistant and MW editorial freelancers, providing guidance and setting yearly objectives where appropriate.
- Work with marketing and social teams to conceive and create customer focused and fashion credible multi channel campaigns when called on. Ensure editorial ideas support the broader business strategy and effectively translate retail and trading messages into customer relevant, fashion credible campaigns.
- Work with MW marketing manager to create campaign brief documents including shoot and feature information.
- Working with the MW Editor to deliver 25% of localised content for international markets.
- Manage and contribute to the evolution of the daily, weekly, monthly and seasonal publishing schedule across all MW comms channel including blogs, social, home page, newsletters, magazine etc.
- With the MW Editor manage the MW editorial calendar and monthly publishing schedule, ensure it is up to date and includes global information.
- Be an advocate for the benefits the CMS within the content and creative teams once live.
- Help to communicate the editorial strategy and position and ensure it is understood within the wider department.
- Work with chief sub editor to guard the brand voice on every platform and provide daily support and feedback to MW editorial and creative team.
- Help to build ASOS MW profile and credibility with industry and customers. When requested be an ambassador for the brand at events.
- Use industry contacts to bring new fashion contributors to ASOS that will inspire our audience and raise our profile.
- Support commercial strategy by creating editorial concepts for client briefs, as well as commissioning or creating content when time permits.
- Provide editorial support for fashion finder, marketplace and copy writing teams.
- Work with VM teams to ensure populated pages are relevant, showcasing best products for feature.
What Success Looks Like:
- Delivery of departmental targets and KPIs
- Positive P&L against agreed budgets
- A positive and proactive editorial team
- Consistently fashion credible content that engages and excites our customers
Skills and experience you will need:
- Proven and talented men’s fashion writer or editor
- A digital and social media expert with a track record of executing innovative and effective campaigns
- Previous experience of working internationally
- Previous retail experience desirable but not essential.
- Proven experience in managing a team successfully
- Experience working to targets and KPIs
- Working in a fast paced, dynamic environment
- Working across various departments and disciplines
- Exceptional organisational and communication skills are key to this role, as is the ability to coordinate multiple projects and work to tight deadlines.
- You should be able to confidently lead team meetings and brainstorms, steering the group to ensure that the best ideas get air time.
- We work at an incredibly fast pace, often juggling a number of projects - our ideal candidate would be able to adapt to this and find it exciting and challenging rather than overwhelming. This is a key role in a growing department, therefore you should be a real team player able to manage up and also work with and nurture junior members of staff.
- You should be confident presenting across the business to different levels.
- Talented, published fashion writer with proven fashion editorial background. Strong background in fashion, with some styling and editing experience.
- Plugged into fashion industry and pop culture.
- Creative yet with a good understanding of fashion and retail business and the challenges the current financial environment brings.
- Able to articulate retail messages for the target customer as well as be able to communicate confidently about fashion.
- Good understanding of multi channel content publishing inc apps, social media and video.
- Good understanding of SEO principles and online publishing.
- Highly engaged in social media, an early adopter of new social platforms and experience of using CMS.
- Dedication and ambition for the brand is essential.
We really love hearing from you but before applying please ask yourself the following…
- Is this role a good match for the direction I’d like to take my career in? We want to really know why you have chosen this career.
- Do I have all the skills and experience required for this role? Be realistic. We will only consider applications that demonstrate relevant skills or the potential to match the role requirements.
- Spell Check. As simple as it sounds make sure your application is to the highest standard. You will be surprised at how many people apply with spelling mistakes on them.