Global Blue, News Editor
Global Blue is looking for an experienced fashion journalist to take on he role of News Editor.
The News Editor is responsible for the fashion news section in print and online across all GB products, including SHOP magazine and www.globalblue.com. The News Editor manages the news team, as well as managing a team of staff writers and external contributors.
He / she will be responsible for generating and overseeing the news content for SHOP Magazine’s 80+ international magazines each year, maintaining a fashion-conscious, retail-focused and informative tone.
The News Editor works alongside the Fashion Editor to manage the entire front-of-book section of SHOP, generating and editing news content daily to tight deadlines. All news content must cater to a luxury, international readership and ensure traffic online.
They will also oversee scheduling, budgeting and the commissioning, writing and editing process for the News section.
The candidate will have extensive experience writing about the international luxury market for relevant leading publications and an enthusiasm for the written word, as well as a fervent passion for shopping, fashion and recommending new/interesting brands.
The candidate will have experience of copy-editing, and be able to edit the work of internal and external journalists to the highest standard. Solid contacts in both journalism and PR are also an important part of the role, as is the ability to liaise and clearly communicate with colleagues in our offices around the world.
The candidate will:
- Be able to identify key trends and brands that will be relevant to our readers
- Liaise with a team of journalists across the world who possess fashion knowledge and travel writing experience to source ideas for the news section.
- Write news copy and edit submitted copy in keeping with Global Blue's sophisticated tone and style guide.
- Communicate and liaise with over 25 country managers in Global Blue offices across the world to ensure that commercial objectives are represented within the news section.
- Meticulously maintain a thoroughly detailed schedule and budget for the news section and enforce stringent deadlines.
- Possess impeccable research skills which will lead to generation of consistently new and relevant ideas, discovering new brands, trends, products and stores across the world
- Travel when required to source exciting, engaging stories in key cities and built up contacts in different destinations.
- Possess the ability to work across both print and online, with an eye for what will increase traffic and the ability to write click-baiting stand firsts and headlines.
- Have an understanding of CMS systems and be able to upload print articles to the website, modifying them for SEO purposes, adding digestible breaks and sub-headings and adding traffic-driving titles
- Be a clear communicator who can keep subbing departments, picture teams, the Managing Editor, Production Editor and Country Managers across the world fully informed of the status of all content at any given time, as well as being highly organised and able to juggle various projects at once
- Have extensive PR and journalist contacts in London and globally and a track record of success in securing interviews and stories.
- Liaise with the picture and design teams on the design of the news section, feeding back on layouts in order to ensure the news pages look as eye-catching and engaging as possible.
- Be able to collect images and upload these to the Dam system for the picture team to retouch. Collecting extra images for online use so the reader is encouraged to engage with Global Blue online.
- Have a developed social media following and be able to promote content on various channels, as well as liaise with writers to ensure they drive traffic to the site when their articles go live.
- Have experience managing a team of writers
- Assist the fashion editor in the management of the SHOP instagram account, submitting ideas for posts weekly and editing posts submitted by other teams
EXPERIENCE AND EDUCATION
- Relevant university degree preferably related to journalism or publishing.
- A minimum of two years experience in a magazine or digital environment with both editing and writing.
- Background in editorial at a national or international publication across print and online, preferably at section editor level.
- Extensive PR contacts in London and globally.
- Fluent in English. Other languages an asset.
- An interest in or knowledge of CMS systems.
- Have a proven traffic record online with a thorough knowledge of content and image optimisation, SEO techniques, social media platforms, with examples of how you have contributed to site traffic in previous posts.
- Have a solid knowledge of fashion brands internationally and a knowledge of or interest in the travel shopping industry and the business of shopping and fashion
SHOP is based in Brentford, West London but the office will be moving to Angel in early 2016. Hours are 9am-5.30pm.
To apply please send a CV and examples of your work to Sally McIlhone, Managing Editor by clicking 'Apply' now.