Tideway, Media and Digital Media Officer
The River Thames is at the heart of London but in recent years, it has often been overlooked. Tideway wants to help change all that, and we want you to be part of our ambition to breathe life back in to our majestic river.
Tideway is a new company that launched in August 2015 with the sole task of cleaning up the River Thames by tackling the current sewage pollution, and more importantly, to reconnect London with its river for business and leisure.
It is one of the largest construction projects of its type in Europe but the Thames Tideway Tunnel is not just an engineering project, it’s about building a London that is fit for your children, and even your great, great, grandchildren.
Every year, tens of millions of tonnes of sewage pollution spills from discharge gates along the tidal river embankment, and that simply has to stop. Construction on the tunnel started in 2016 and will take up to seven years to complete.
Purpose and functions:
We currently have an exciting opportunity for a Media and Digital Media Officer.
The purpose of this role is to protect and enhance the reputation of Tideway through the use of all media channels, with particular emphasis on digital and social media.
Tideway is less than two years old as a company, and therefore the use of media to raise the company’s profile and educate London and the rest of Britain on the work we are doing to clean up London’s river is essential.
This role requires someone with a solid understanding of the media and how newsrooms operate, preferably with a network of contacts at national publications and agenda-leading websites.
We are looking for someone who understands the importance of media relations, and can create exciting and consumable content from a subject that can be very technical and full of jargon.
What will this role involve?
Tideway operates a 24-hour press office, and as a media officer you will deal with requests and queries as they come in. You will be required to find stories from the teams of contractors working on site, and turn them in to clean, simple copy to drive proactive media coverage that engages the community and strengthens the Tideway brand. You will also be required to maximise media coverage using social media channels, and creating copy for digital media channels.
What skills are we looking for?
The media and digital media officer will report in to the Head of Media Relations, and have the following responsibilities:
- Creating a monthly catalogue of media content for external publications
- Engaging a network of key journalists across national, regional and trade publications
- Working with the media officer and digital comms manager to promote content
- Handling requests from journalists
- Training Tideway staff on how and when to respond to the media
- Driving new online presence for Tideway in social media forums
- Comply with health, safety, security and environment policies and standards to maintain a safe workplace
- Maintain awareness of Tideway policies, processes and standards
Who is suitable?
Someone who delivers well under pressure and can work to tight deadlines, creating your own workload and managing your time efficiently. You will be required to work in offices across London as well as on construction sites, and will need to be as comfortable talking to a forklift truck driver as the CEO.
You will have experience in working with the media and have a thorough understanding of media trends and emerging media channels. This role suits someone who likes working in a busy team, has a good rapport with others, and is passionate about promoting the work Tideway is doing.
Head of Media Relations
Education & Experience:
- Eligibility to work in UK
- Experience of working in a newsroom or media environment and/or public relations
- Qualifications in related subjects including media relations, PR, English or digital content.
Characteristics and Attributes:
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Planning / organisational skills; ability to manage own time/ commitments
- Attention to detail
- Courteous, tactful and diplomatic
- Willing to work flexible hours to get job done.
Click 'Apply' now.