FAIRR, Senior Communications Officer
An exciting opportunity for an enthusiastic senior communications professional to lead the global expansion of a fast-growing initiative that is reshaping the priorities of the animal welfare responsible investment community.
Experience of business or financial communications and issues management will be essential, as will previous experience of international media activity. An interest in sustainable food or animal welfare issues is an advantage.
Founded in 2002, the Jeremy Coller Foundation is the philanthropic vehicle of private equity entrepreneur Jeremy Coller.
The Foundation works to address the issue of factory farming though grant-making and strategic initiatives in the areas of animal welfare, human health and global sustainability.
JCF’s primary strategic focus is the FAIRR (Farm Animal Investment Risk & Return) Initiative, which was established by JCF in 2015. FAIRR is an investor network that aims to put factory farming on the environmental, social and governance (ESG) agenda.
Issues associated with animal welfare and factory farming present an iceberg of risks to society and investors. Above the surface, scandals such as swine flu, avian flu and horsemeat have shown how industrial production methods can lead to value destruction.
FAIRR acts as a global collaborative network that shares research, fresh thinking and best practice with global institutional investors, policy makers, academics, NGOs and other related actors.
We are looking for an enthusiastic communications professional to join our small team to support both the Jeremy Coller Foundation and the FAIRR Initiative’s Communication and PR needs.
FAIRR Key roles & Tasks (approx. 90% of role)
Manage reactive media for FAIRR
Set up a scanning and response/rebuttal process to help establish FAIRR as the go-to commentator on factory farming investment.
This should involve:
- Monitoring international media for relevant articles (e.g. perhaps using a service like Meltwater or Gorkana).
- Be able to turn relevant media opportunities into ‘media wins’ such as follow up articles, comments, letters to the Editor or invitations to the relevant journalists to meet with a FAIRR
- Helping FAIRR spokespeople with background briefings and prep documents where required.
- Organising the FAIRR team and wider membership so that FAIRR has a network of spokespeople ‘on tap’ across the world
FAIRR Global expansion
In its first 18 months FAIRR has had impressive coverage in the UK and US, with some limited coverage in wider Europe. An aim for the next 18 months is to build its coverage in foreign markets, especially those with a lively responsible investment community that might lead to additional members for the FAIRR network.
This is likely to include:
- Create a list of priority markets (likely defined as those most likely to result in new FAIRR members) and target media within those countries.
- Create and implement a strategy to win coverage in these markets with clear goals and criteria for success. Be willing to ‘hit the phones’ to try and win coverage for FAIRR outside of the UK.
- Short-term focus is likely to be jurisdictions such as US, Netherlands, Nordics, Australia/NZ (these efforts may potentially be in conjunction with ESG Communications).
- Longer-term interest will be in China, Japan, Latin America and non-English speaking Europe.
- Define and enforce a clear brand identity for FAIRR and re-enforce consistency of messaging
- Oversee the brand and messaging across all FAIRR events, literature and marketing collateral, digital and social media etc.
- Design and managing an annual FAIRR conference, including location, timing, agenda, speakers
- Co-ordinating FAIRR’s participation and attendance at responsible investment and food sector related events
- Provide guidance on prioritization of which industry events in which FAIRR should participate
As part of positioning FAIRR as a first port of call for global media, the CCO should take responsibility for putting a search engine optimization (SEO) campaign in place with clear goals and budget management.
Likely to include:
- Oversee initial site audit and ‘quick win’ SEO improvements
- Set strategy on which keywords to target
- Set and manage a budget for pay per click advertising along an SEO strategy.
- Decide on best metrics on which to measure the visibility and ranking of www.fairr.org
Work in partnership with external consultancy
FAIRR has an established relationship with specialist external PR consultancy ESG Communications. The ESG Communications team have several areas in which they deliver for FAIRR and report to Director Maria Lettini. The role of the Chief Press Officer will be to work closely with the ESG Communications team as required in their focus areas of:
- Planning and delivery of proactive media for FAIRR.
- Social media activity
- Policy Paper production and launches
- Member communications
- Journalist meet and greet programme
Jeremy Coller Foundation - Key roles & Tasks (approx. 10% of role)
Assist with proactive PR and comms on a project basis.
JCF has a number of ongoing factory farming-related projects, including research, exhibitions, collaborations with other organisations. These will all require specific input on PR in both the planning and launch stages, e.g. planning PR strategy, drafting press releases, media liason, contributing to launch events.
- Several years of experience in a business or financial communications role is essential. Experience with an investment institution would be a plus.
- Understanding of responsible investment and sustainability issues in the food industry is beneficial.
- Experience of working under pressure to tight deadlines and ensuring all stakeholders are involved in decisions.
- Experience with international media in regions such as non-English speaking Europe, Australia and US will be a great advantage.
- Experience of creating and implementing an SEO strategy would be beneficial
Skills, abilities and interests
- Excellent command of the English language, outstanding written and oral communication skills.
- Attention to detail and ability to work independently.
- High standard of organisational skills with the ability to multi-task
- Has initiative to spot opportunities for promoting FAIRR’s work, combined with the motivation to seize these opportunities.
- Ability to work collaboratively with senior management, wider team and wider stakeholders including partners, internal networks and external PR agencies.
- Ability to speak other languages is an advantage.
- A passion and interest in the future of food and the sustainability issues within the meat industry would be a big plus.
- Should be a team player with a calm temperament and a good sense of humour.
Interested applicants should email their CV and cover letter by completing the application form below.
Benefits: Pension Benefit, Private Health Insurance, 25-days paid vacation + public holidays.
Closing date: 25 August 2017
Interview date: w/c 04 September 2017
**Applicants must be eligible to work and reside in the UK.