ELLE, Picture Editor
The Picture Editor will assist the Creative Director in all areas of running the Picture Desk and making all decisions relating to photography with their agreement.
The overall aim is to maintain the magazine’s competitive advantage in the market by using the best possible pictures and photographers. This role reports to the Creative Director.
- Be responsible for the photographic look of the magazine under the direction of the Creative Director and Editor
- Bring in new photographers and maintain good relationships with all photographers, photo agents and publicists worldwide
- Work with the Creative Director in commissioning all photography for the magazine apart from fashion and beauty well shoots. (Although some special projects may cover fashion and beauty.) This covers portrait, reportage, still life and general features
- Oversee any special projects or particularly difficult shoots when necessary. This especially includes celebrity shoots
- Oversee all photo research and direct the Picture Assistant in their work
- Come up with story ideas for consideration of the Editor
- Liaise closely with the Creative Director about the creative direction and vision of the magazine
- Maintain good working relationships, communicate closely and exchange ideas with the Deputy Editor and Features Department, Creative Director and Editor in order to create smooth creative collaborations
- Oversee the organisation and creative vision of the still life photography. To direct the Picture Assistant in this area
- Create amazing visual productions by scouting unique locations, cultivating relationships with interior and fashion stylists and home economists. Also keep abreast of fashion trends in order to do so
- Ensure productions are slick, well organised and kept within budget
- Change and adapt to new editorial directions, contributing ideas as a valuable member of the creative team.
- Be responsible for the organisation of the photo filing system to ensure that all pictures are safe and recorded as they come in and leave the magazine
- Negotiate all fees for the above and be responsible for keeping the photo budget. This includes keeping the mark up current
- Keep costing copies updated and invoices filed
- Be aware of deadlines and work strictly to them, especially during press week. Make sure the rest of the team is aware of deadlines too
- Keep abreast of the technical revolution regarding digital pictures
- To cultivate good people management skills in order to direct an efficient, organised and satisfied creative team.
- Ability to build long-lasting professional relationships
- Experience working in a similar position as either Deputy Picture Editor / Picture Editor on a leading monthly magazine title
- Understanding of picture budgets and an ability to monitor and oversee budgets
- Strong negotiation skills
- Interest in constantly developing the photography and look of a title in order to achieve continual circulation success
- • Ability to achieve a high profile and co-operative relationship with the rest of the team, especially with department heads
- • Team management experience.
Click 'Apply' now.