The Veg Nerd, Digital Content Editor / Journalist
We’re mad about organic veg. It’s at the core of everything we do. We love to grow it, pack it into boxes, deliver it to customers’ doorsteps – and build a community around what we eat and where it comes from. This takes a lot of brilliant people, with a range of skills and knowledge.
Riverford began in 1986, with a few acres of veg, a wheelbarrow and a beaten up 2CV for deliveries. We’ve grown into a successful e-commerce business, with four farms, three packhouses, a fleet of vans and drivers, a wholesalers, butchery, organic restaurant and pub. We employ people across many areas including IT, Logistics, Sales, HR, Finance and Marketing (and more besides).
Our culture and values set us apart from other businesses. Riverford is a friendly, informal place to work, with a passionate, entrepreneurial spirit. We’re committed to providing a fair deal for growers, customers and staff.
What you’ll be doing
Organic veg is at the heart of everything we do. For 30 years we have grown it, packed it, delivered it to the nation’s doorsteps, and inspired customers to Live Life on the Veg. But we want to feed them more than good veg; our customers are thoughtful, questioning and want to do the right thing and make good choices in a complex world.
We are on a mission to get the world thinking about what we all eat and where it comes from. Voted Observer Ethical Product of the Decade, we believe we are well placed to dominate this space.
This is where The Veg Nerd comes in… and perhaps you.
Riverford is rich in content, with 30 years’ worth of recipes, newsletters, relationships, research, videos and campaigns. We want to create a content platform and digital magazine which puts branded content to the fore in building our reputation, community, audience - and ultimately introduces a new generation of customers.
The platform will leverage existing content and commission and curate information, ideas, opinion and debate around food and farming – veg specifically (from the virtues of carrot varieties to ideas for cardoons) and food more generally (from food waste to factory farming, food trends to how much meat we should be eating).
We need an entrepreneurial and ambitious content editor to lead this project, launching, building and managing this new channel with well-rounded content aligned with brand values and commercial objectives.
This is a fantastic opening for someone who knows the food and farming scene, has a strong instinct for engaging content, and has the ambition, experience and skills to leverage it digitally.
Working closely with our Head of Content, an editorial board, and in-house design and digital teams, your remit will be to build an influential go-to digital space for the new food movement.
Initially you will be developing a content and media strategy to launch the site and make it fly. Against this strategy, you will build up the content on the site ahead of launch, creating a balance of content that meets journalistic, commercial and brand objectives and optimises search opportunities.
On the content side, this will include designing the site, planning a calendar of content, editing/repurposing and uploading existing content, planning, commissioning or writing new content around recipes, cookery, food and farming issues, campaigns and curated content, and building relationships with internal and external contributors.
Working with our digital team, you will develop a strategy for seeding content, working with third parties, optimising search opportunities in our areas of authority and building a subscriber base. You will be building on our existing social media audience and subscriber base of around 140,000.
Skills & experience
We are looking for a creative, ideas-led individual with solid journalistic and digital skills.
- Journalistic experience – You must be an engaging, experienced writer with good knowledge of food, farming or closely related areas. You will need a sound understanding of the legal aspects of journalism so we can be contentious and provocative without crossing a line. You need excellent editing, proofing and copywriting skills. Our audience is educated, literate and articulate – they tend to care! We need scrupulous attention to detail and fact-checking.
- Digital experience – As a digital native, you will be completely comfortable in a multi-channel digital environment, and ideally have experience of building a content site, with knowledge of how to use great content to build both traffic and subscriber base audience. You will need to demonstrate good knowledge of SEO and social media, a solid understanding of engagement and loyalty metrics and how to improve them, and an ability to identify growth opportunities with new audiences.
- Commercial nous – The ability to marry commercial and editorial opportunities.
- Flexibility – In addition to the planned content, we will be reacting to relevant news items. We need an experienced writer to swiftly deliver the most engaging, fresh, relevant, shareable content for our growing digital audience, so Riverford is part of the right conversations at the right time.
- Familiarity with WordPress would be an advantage.
- Photography skills – An advantage. Strong visual sense essential.
- An entrepreneurial mindset – Focused on growing Riverford’s digital audience and influence, and prepared to take your own initiative.
- A team player – You will be working with teams across the business, from growers to techies, and need to persuade and collaborate internally. You will champion the Veg Nerd, getting the resource you need to make it something we all become proud of.
- A roller-up of sleeves – This is a hands-on as well as a strategic role, and you need to be happy knocking content into shape, uploading, repurposing, etc.
- Advocate and influencer – You will be building partnerships and other third-party relationships to generate content and maximise its impact.
- A lover of deadlines – We need to get things turned around fast at times, so you need to be happy working under a certain amount of pressure.
- Creativity – It’s not all about listicles and articles. There are lots of ways to present engaging content; we want someone who is always thinking of creative and experimental ways of engaging, informing and influencing.
- Relentless curiosity and story spotting – Is there something we are not talking about and should be? We need someone who is plugged into conversations in the right places.
- Technical adaptability and flexibility – New platforms are always emerging, so we need to constantly assess where Riverford content should be seen and shared.
This is a permanent contract, based on our farm HQ in Devon.
Riverford is a beautiful place to work, with lots of great people – and other benefits too. We offer 31 days’ holiday (including bank holidays), a generous company pension scheme and an annual profit share. We love food and hope you do too, so we give staff 25% off everything we sell on our website; heavily discounted organic breakfasts and lunches in the staff canteen; and free organic fruit and veg. There are also many social events for staff, with two big parties a year.
Click 'Apply' now.