S&P Global Platts, Market Reporter - Petrochemicals, 13 Month Maternity Contract
S&P Global Platts is seeking a market reporter to join its European petrochemicals team for a 13 month maternity contract.
In this role you will gather pricing information and market intelligence, forming that information into price assessments and published market commentaries, news updates and in-depth analysis stories.
Your core focus will be supply-demand dynamics and price, reporting on topics including infrastructure, transportation and regulation and their impact on markets.
The Career Opportunity:
This position is a gateway into Platts, the premier energy news and price assessment provider. You will develop as a reporter and become an expert within your chosen commodity. Following your contract there will be opportunities to move within the organization, dependant upon performance.
The Team / The Business:
You are part of a global team of dedicated reporters and analysts.
You will be a competent writer familiar with data journalism and/or market reporting, curious, pro-active, comfortable on the phone and able to establish relationships with a wide range of industry sources.
Our Hiring Manager says:
I’m looking for a candidate who is not afraid to pick up the phone to find the price angle behind the story. I want someone who will enjoy the rigors of daily price reporting, who is curious about the petrochemical industry and who will be excited to learn from industry experts.
Through daily and weekly price assessments, continuous contact with market participants and deep understanding of proprietary methodology, this role offers the successful applicant the opportunity to become an expert in their field.
- Follows price trends and reports on those trends throughout the trading day
- Verifies transactions or data information submissions
- Develops price assessments/indexes, applying proprietary methodologies
- Identifies pricing methodology issues in specific area of market coverage
- Continually scans the market for changes that might impact trading terms and practices
- Reports on a wide variety of issues that impact commodity markets including, price trends, infrastructure issues; supply-demand trends and issues; regulatory issues
- Produces daily news stories that are well-written, clean copy that conforms to AP and Platts house style
- Identifies news/information and its relevance to readership
- Produces daily commentaries that pair with price assessments; and in-depth analysis stories
- Maintains an extensive source list with key contact information and background info
- Initiates frequent, daily contact via phone and instant messenger with a wide variety of sources
- As able, meets with sources in person to facilitate greater information sharing
- Reviews assessments and formulas used for producing price assessments to validate
- Ensures copy and commentary is accurate and aligns with pricing trends
- Achieves annual data integrity targets
- Maintains internal documentation including: market beat how-tos; source lists and reporting notes
- Adheres to relevant editorial standards and code of ethics that govern market reporting practices
- BA degree in journalism or business preferred with experience in reporting/writing/analytical experience; or a graduate degree in journalism, business, economics or finance; with experience in reporting/writing/analytical work
- Petrochemical sector experience is desired, but not essential.
- Well-rounded communication skills that implement good listening techniques; clear, concise writing style; and good verbal skills.
- Ability to work well in a team environment, a focus on collaboration and adapting to the needs of a diverse team.
- Displays good numeracy skills, including ability to conceptualize proportional relationships.
- An understanding of the basic principles of algebra and statistics, understanding of how to apply basic math functions in Excel.
- A basic understanding of economics principles is also required.
- Adept at managing multiple tasks and adhering to regular deadlines.
- Good problem-solving and critical thinking capabilities.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Excel, Microsoft Office suite (Word, Powerpoint, Outlook…) and basic keyboarding skills (both speed and accuracy)
- Multilingual capabilities a plus.
Click 'Apply' now,