Evening Standard, Online Celebrity Fashion Journalist - 6 Month Fixed Term Contract
Reports to: Digital Head of Lifestyle
ESI Media is an innovative multichannel media business, with a cross-platform reach of 23.1m. Our brands include the London Evening Standard, The Independent and London Live. We have offices based in the UK and US.
The Evening Standard’s Digital Features team incorporates three key pillars: Lifestyle, Going and Entertainment. Each section is committed to delivering the latest news, reviews and features on the best trends and topical issues. We deliver quality cross-platform content for a global urban audience.
The dynamic, fast-growing team covers a wide spectrum of subjects from restaurants and bars to fashion, travel and fitness. We champion the arts as well as covering breaking celebrity and TV stories.
The Evening Standard website (standard.co.uk) is looking for a talented journalist with an in-depth knowledge of fashion and a specialist interest in the celebrity fashion and beauty world.
The candidate will be tasked with writing about major red carpet events, shows and celebrity style. They will be expected to meet traffic and commercial targets, and achieve SEO, social media and audience growth.
They will work closely with the Head of Lifestyle and fashion writer, as well as the Showbiz and Shopping teams – and bring in freelance writers and influencers.
They will also be required to work with the commercial team. Candidates will have experience working within a fast-paced digital team, with proven digital publishing skills and the ability to write, commission and edit compelling content for a social audience – including video content.
Working a flexible schedule, including late hours to cover shows and events, as well as providing weekend cover for the Lifestyle team.
- A motivated individual with a passion for fashion.
- A big interest in celebrity style and beauty, as well as experience in creating shop-able content, will be necessary.
- You will have worked in a fast paced editorial environment and be enthused by the challenge of working on a new project.
- You will be flexible about working hours and weekend cover
- Responsible for creating and executing a celebrity-driven content strategy plan for the Fashion desk, that focuses on covering major shows and red carpet events around the world as well as trending/social content that will appeal to a UK/US/global audience
- Will contribute to social media platforms including Twitter, Facebook and Instagram – with scope to start new Fashion-only accounts across different media including Snap-chat
- Working with freelancers and influencers to bring in extra content/traffic – commissioning and editing this content
- Meet traffic and commercial targets set for weekend content
Skills and experience
- Keen and comprehensive interest in all subjects that are part of standard.co.uk/lifestyle
- At least 3 years’ experience in digital publishing
- Proven experience using data analytics including Chartbeat, Omniture and Google Analytics
- A strong contacts books of PRs, writers and influencers
- Photoshop + InDesign experience
- Ability to source pictures and compile online galleries
- Experience using affiliate marketing tools
- Experience in managing and commissioning freelancers
- Experience in contributing to and growing social media platforms, in particular Facebook and Instagram
- Good forward planning skills
- Strong understanding of SEO
- Record of pitching, researching and writing clean, compelling and accurate copy
- Ability to cut/edit video
- Continuous Improvement – Works in a smart, flexible and focussed way, is open to change and suggests ideas for improvements to the way things are done.
- Collaboration – Builds and maintains positive and supportive working relationships with colleagues. Helps to create an inclusive and professional work environment.
- Building Capability – Keeps own knowledge and skill set current and evolving and looks for ways to continue learning to support the achievement of business objectives.
- Quality Service – Delivers high quality and efficient service and takes account of the diverse customer needs and requirements when looking at ways to improve service quality.
- Responsive Delivery - Works to agreed business goals and objectives and deals with challenges in a constructive and responsive way. Takes personal responsibility for quality of outputs.
To apply, please send an up to date CV along with a full covering letter with salary expectations by completing the application form below. Closing date is Friday 29 September.