ES Digital, Journalist / News Reporter
ESI Media is an innovative multichannel media business, with a cross-platform reach of 23.1m. Our brands include the London Evening Standard, The Independent and London Live. We have offices based in the UK and US.
The ES Digital News team
The ES digital news team delivers breaking news and quality journalism covering politics, health, transport, education and crime. The team, of around a dozen reporters, delivers quality cross-platform content for a global urban audience.
We are looking for a talented journalist to join our team of news reporters to deliver original, high quality and engaging stories to our audience as the team and site expands.
You will write and publish news stories for one of the UK’s fastest growing online news brands.
You will be part of a team of around 12 reporters covering breaking news, politics, crime, health, education and transport. Working to the news editor or their assistant, you will pitch original ideas as well as completing assignments handed to you.
You will be expected to put together a complete package of words, pictures and video which will inform, entertain and engage the audience and satisfy the stated mission statement of the brand.
- Successful candidates will have a keen news sense and an appreciation of what type of content works well online
- Be comfortable in a fast-paced media environment and have the flexibility to work within a 24/7 rota, including evening and weekend shifts
- Be adept at producing fast and accurate copy on breaking stories
- Have an understanding of and practical ability to carry out picture and video editing skills.
- Have an understanding of the key role data analytics play in story selection and execution and familiarity with the tools which assist this
Key responsibilities and accountabilities
- You will need to
- Deliver engaging and shareable stories that are relevant to our audience
- Generate original story ideas
- Produce error-free copy to tight deadlines
- Ensure best-use of images and video content
- Work closely with specialist colleagues in social, video, SEO, TV, data, print and other areas to generate and publish well-written and well-presented content
- Ensure that all content is of the highest possible standard and adheres to ‘house-brand’ requirements, with an awareness of the readers’ point of view.
- Ensure legal and taste and decency obligation are adhered to.
- Conduct research to uncover interesting and significant news/stories.
- Where necessary work with commercial colleagues to give guidance on delivering campaigns.
- Work across different sections and stand in for colleagues as and when required.
Skills and experience
- Ability to generate own news stories
- Producing fast and accurate copy on breaking stories
- Identify stories with high-interest and traffic potential
- Two years’ experience of working in a fast-paced newsroom
- Ability to write strong headlines
- A good understanding of SEO and social media strategies to ensure stories are seen by a wide audience
- A good eye for images and photographs
- Video editing experience
- NCTJ qualification or equivalent
- Flexibility to cover a 24/7 rota, including evenings and weekends
- Expert Understanding of the data in journalism for story discovery and story treatment.
- Good writer, communicator and visual story-teller.
- Continuous Improvement – Works in a smart, flexible and focussed way, is open to change and suggests ideas for improvements to the way things are done.
- Collaboration – Builds and maintains positive and supportive working relationships with colleagues. Helps to create an inclusive and professional work environment.
- Building Capability – Keeps own knowledge and skill set current and evolving and looks for ways to continue learning to support the achievement of business objectives.
- Quality Service – Delivers high quality and efficient service and takes account of the diverse customer needs and requirements when looking at ways to improve service quality.
- Responsive Delivery - Works to agreed business goals and objectives and deals with challenges in a constructive and responsive way. Takes personal responsibility for quality of outputs.
To apply, please send an up to date CV along with a full covering letter with salary expectations by completing the application form below.
Closing date is Friday 6 October.