Evening Standard, Online Lifestyle Journalist
ESI Media is an innovative multichannel media business, with a cross-platform reach of 23.1m. Our brands include the London Evening Standard, The Independent and London Live. We have offices based in the UK and US.
The Evening Standard’s Digital Features team incorporates three key pillars: Lifestyle, Going and Entertainment. Each section is committed to delivering the latest news, reviews and features on the best trends and topical issues. We deliver quality cross-platform content for a global urban audience.
The dynamic, fast-growing team covers a wide spectrum of subjects from restaurants and bars to fashion, travel and fitness. We champion the arts as well as covering breaking celebrity and TV stories.
The Evening Standard website (standard.co.uk) is looking for a talented journalist with an in-depth knowledge of the Lifestyle sector, including Travel, Food & Drink, Health & Fitness, Design – and a good grasp of current affairs and trending issues.
The candidate will be tasked writing for an urban, liberal audience (including taking into account a US/global audience) – and achieving traffic targets, SEO, social media and audience growth.
They will work closely with the Head of Lifestyle and rest of Lifestyle team, as well as bringing in freelance writers and influencers.
Candidates will have experience in working within a fast-paced digital team, with proven digital publishing skills and the ability to write and edit compelling content for a social audience – including video content.
Working a flexible schedule, including some Saturdays and Sundays to help provide weekend cover for the Lifestyle team.
A motivated individual with a passion for Lifestyle topics: Travel, Food & Drink, Health & Fitness & Design, as well as trending topics and issues.
You will have worked in a fast paced editorial environment and be enthused by the challenge of working on a new project.
You will be flexible about working hours and weekend cover
- Writing compelling content to tight deadlines across all sections of Lifestyle (not including Fashion and Beauty)
- Contribute to creating and executing a new content strategy for the Lifestyle desk, including for the weekend, that focuses on building up SEO content as well as trending /social content that will also appeal to a UK/US/global audience
- Refreshing current content to fulfil SEO targets
- Will contribute to social media platforms including Twitter, Facebook and Instagram – and be in charge of these accounts if working weekend hours.
- Working with freelancers and influencers to bring in extra content/traffic – commissioning and editing this for weekend audience
- Meet traffic targets
Skills and experience
- Keen and comprehensive interest in all subjects that are part of standard.co.uk/lifestyle
- At least 3 years’ experience in digital publishing
- Proven experience using data analytics including Chartbeat, Omniture and Google Analytics
- A strong contacts books of PRs, writers and influencers
- Experience in managing, commissioned freelancers
- Experience in contributing to and growing social media platforms, in particular Facebook and Instagram
- Good forward planning skills
- Strong understanding of SEO
- Record of pitching, researching and writing clean, compelling and accurate copy
- Ability to cut/edit video
- Continuous Improvement – Works in a smart, flexible and focussed way, is open to change and suggests ideas for improvements to the way things are done.
- Collaboration – Builds and maintains positive and supportive working relationships with colleagues. Helps to create an inclusive and professional work environment.
- Building Capability – Keeps own knowledge and skill set current and evolving and looks for ways to continue learning to support the achievement of business objectives.
- Quality Service – Delivers high quality and efficient service and takes account of the diverse customer needs and requirements when looking at ways to improve service quality.
- Responsive Delivery - Works to agreed business goals and objectives and deals with challenges in a constructive and responsive way. Takes personal responsibility for quality of outputs.
To apply, please send an up to date CV along with a full covering letter with salary expectations by completing the application form below.
Apply for Evening Standard, Online Lifestyle Journalist
Already uploaded your CV? Sign in to apply instantly