House Beautiful, Executive Editor
The Lifestyle publishing division at Hearst Magazines UK is home to some of the world’s most iconic and successful magazine brands including Good Housekeeping, Country Living, ELLE Decoration, Prima, Red and House Beautiful.
We pride ourselves on giving our readers outstanding quality journalism, originality and unforgettable brand experiences all delivered with passion, creativity and expertise.
Reporting into the Group Editorial Director (GED), the Executive Editor will be responsible for delivering all aspects of the editorial content of each issue of the magazine to the strategic brief set by the GED. You will ensure that readers and advertisers are provided with a highly engaging brand experience whilst balancing costs to deliver within budget.
Key Tasks and Responsibilities
- Together with the GED, create a compelling editorial content strategy that appeals to both consumers and commercial partners and delivers Hearst’s ambition for the brand.
- Define the content pillars, structure, tone and art direction and ensure the magazine delivers against this. Write when appropriate.
- Execute all editorial duties involved with publishing the magazine to the highest standards, meeting all deadlines. Ensure the content is accurate, and legal.
- Approve all freelance contributors, experts, photographers and illustrators
- Collaborate with the Workflow Director and Managing Editor to deliver an efficient workflow and resource allocation within budget.
- Be responsible for content rights and negotiate for maximum usage within budget.
- To keep a close eye on the flatplan and dummy, watching for editorial/advertising conflicts. To find solutions to these problems in conjunction with all stakeholders.
- To communicate the editorial policy to all stakeholders.
- To liaise with all central departments on all issues that affect delivery.
- To read and monitor competitive magazines to keep abreast of new ideas and trends.
- To develop and create, in consultation with the GED, innovative and relevant supplements and spin-offs for the magazine. Create a rolling annual content plan.
- Ensure all staff are trained on the tools available for content sharing and repurposing and that brand targets are hit. Together with all stakeholders, create plans at the point of commissioning on how content will be repurposed across multiple formats and brands and hit repurposing targets.
- As agreed with the GED, create clear signposting to support audience migration between platforms and sister brands and collect customer data and insight from your audience that will drive improved engagement and commercial opportunities.
- Ensure any member of staff reporting to you has an up to date job description, clear KPIs, regular career reviews, and performance discussions and that these are documented and acted upon.
- To direct, resource and motivate editorial staff to maximise their creative contribution and to ensure all copy dates and deadlines are met.
- Create an exciting, proactive and helpful relationship with the commercial teams.
- Support the commercial teams without losing the integrity of the brand.
- Pass contacts you make with any industry budget influencers to the sales team
- Help identify and win landmark industry awards
Specific to Home:
There will be three brands in this portfolio. Country Living, ELLE Deco and House Beautiful. The structure will include two content hubs. Homes and Features.
You will commission content through the two hubs wherever possible and commission outside of this with approval from the GED. Initially these two hubs will report into the GED but you may be requested to manage one of these on a day to day basis.
Non-core content including Features, Beauty, Fashion, Food, Travel, Consumer, Health, Craft and Celebrity will be supplied by the Lifestyle Hub. You will work with your GED to plan how you brief and operate in this area.
The candidate will have:
- A proven track record as an experienced Deputy Editor or senior editorial member of a successful magazine team
- Can demonstrate an acute knowledge of the day to day operation of content creation
- Excellent communication and presentation skills
- A can-do attitude and flexible around the breadth of the role.
- The Key Performance Indicators against which you will be measured will be set by the Group Editorial Director.
WE ARE BRAVE
You will be Innovative and challenging, don’t be afraid to bring new ideas to the table and speak up, we want to hear you.
WE CREATE A GREAT BUSINESS TOGETHER
We are a collaborative business made by many, you will be an individual working as part of a team creating fantastic work for some of the most exciting brands in the industry.
WE ADAPT AND WE CHANGE
You’ll be able to adapt to a fast pace, and be agile in an ever changing environment and thrive in an evolving media business.
WE ARE PROUD TO BE HERE
We are proud to be Hearst, acting as a brand ambassador you will be a Hearst champion internally and externally.
Click 'Apply' now.