The Wall Street Journal, Deputy World Coverage Chief
The Wall Street Journal is a global news organization that provides leading news, information, commentary and analysis. The Wall Street Journal engages readers across print, digital, mobile, social, and video.
Building on its heritage as the preeminent source of global business and financial news, the Journal includes coverage of U.S. and world news, politics, arts, culture, lifestyle, sports, and health. It holds 36 Pulitzer Prizes for outstanding journalism.
The Wall Street Journal is published by Dow Jones, a division of News Corp (NASDAQ: NWS, NWSA; ASX: NWS, NWSLV).
The Deputy World Coverage Chief helps the World Coverage Chief drive daily and long-term news and enterprise, with a mobile-first focus, and manage bureau chiefs and reporters.
This position is based in London and will focus on news in Europe, the Middle East and Africa.
Tasks / Responsibilities
- Develop and regularly re-evaluate the World team's content strategy across all WSJ platforms and formats.
- Implement a daily coverage plan for all platforms in cooperation with the World Coverage Chief, Chief News Editor, Analytics & Audience Editor and Platform Editors
- Implement a rolling long- and mid-term coverage plan for all platforms in cooperation with the World Coverage Chief, Planning Editor, Analytics & Audience Editor and Platform Editors.
- Oversee and manage a rigorous story-pitch and story prioritization process to select the journalism that is to be pursued by the coverage area.
- Oversee and manage the creation of story packages on article-page level (text, visuals, video, inset boxes for related articles or twitter, timelines, etc.) and ensure the packages are optimized for mobile audiences.
- Ensure that all components are of the highest quality, adhere to WSJ standards and are ready for publication as a complete article-page.
- Ensure the timely and coordinated publication of all coverage area story packages in coordination with the World Coverage Chief and the Chief News Editor. Test and ensure error-free publication (SEO headlines, hyperlinks, video, etc.).
- Track key performance indicators with the Analytics & Audience Editor. Provide regular and actionable feedback to staff to improve overall journalistic quality and workflow efficiency.
- Work closely with the Spot Desk to make sure breaking news stories are receiving the proper input from beat reporters and bureau editors.
- Ensure on-platform engagement of audiences through techniques such as “further read” recommendations, “editors picks,” etc., based on audience data.
- Work with the Newsletter Editor and the Digital News Editor to serve readers of newsletters generated within the coverage area. Track KPIs and optimize.
- Assist in managing the day-to-day work of teams of bureau chiefs, global deputies and reporters.
- Inspire our journalists to produce their best work on all platforms.
- Contribute by attitude, example and encouragement to a culture of creativity, enthusiasm, motivation, ownership and professionalism.
- Set standards for individual and team performance – ongoing and in regular performance reviews.
- Contribute to the shaping and management of staff-development programs.
- Identify high-potential members of the team and ensure they are effectively developed.
Key Attributes / Knowledge / Experience
- Extensive experience as a journalist and superb news judgment.
- Extensive experience editing and writing.
- Deep understanding of the brand values and mission of The Wall Street Journal -- digital and print -- and how our journalism should be selected, executed and presented in line with those values.
- Deep understanding of the audience and membership structure, and how to use insight research and analytics to continually refine this understanding.
- Equally at home in digital media environments and print, with demonstrated excellence in writing and editing in both. Solid grasp of video as a content format.
- Know how to select and present the best, most relevant journalism in various digital formats. Also know what does not work and make qualified calls.
- Understands and applies creatively modern and innovative journalism and storytelling techniques.
- Deep understanding of platform specific storytelling characteristics.
- Excellent communications skills. Know how to delegate, brief and give constructive feedback.
- Sound organizational abilities: setting agendas, managing projects, maintaining a slate of forward planning that is crucial for implementing the coverage area's strategy.
- Innovative and creative thinker, leader and manager.
Position in hierarchy / reporting lines
- Reporting to: World Coverage Chief
- Additional major internal working relationships
- Very closely working with Spot Desk Editor, Chief Video/Audio Editor, Chief Visuals Editor, Planning Editor, Editor for Digital Content Strategy
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability status. EEO/AA/M/F/Disabled/Vets
Click 'Apply' now.