Econ Films, Managing Director
- Are you an experienced producer excited by the opportunity to run a company – and take it to the next level?
- Econ Films work with high-profile clients around the world, including universities, governments and NGOs. Our goal is to build an international brand and become the go-to company for educational and documentary productions in our field.
- You will receive a regular salary and a revenue share to give you a stake in the success of this profitable and growing company.
Econ Films is looking for a producer with experience managing and winning new clients to become our new Managing Director.
You will be the most senior member of our team, responsible for delivering success for the company. You will report directly to the Company Founder and Chairman and Board of Directors. You will receive a base salary and a revenue share, meaning you will share in the upside of everything you do at the company.
Are you looking to take a step up in your career, to grow a company and build something special?
About Econ Films
Econ Films is a production company specialising in videos and films about economics, finance, business and public policy – on any medium, for any audience.
Econ Films was founded in 2014 and has quickly grown to attract international clients and overseas assignments (in the last 12 months we have had nine overseas assignments: one in Asia, two in the US and three in both Africa and Europe).
We specialise in short videos and documentaries to share research findings and insights with a wider audience.
Our clients include the United Nations, the London School of Economics, Mars Incorporated and the UK Treasury. We have interviewed well over 20 Nobel Laureates and senior politicians including former UK Chancellor’s Alistair Darling and George Osborne as well as former Prime Minister David Cameron. (More details on our website: econfilms.tv)
Company Founder and Chairman of the Board Bob Denham is moving into fiction and entertainment but will continue to work part-time at the company to guide on strategy and to advise and assist the new Managing Director.
About your role
You will be responsible for running a thriving company. The most critical of these responsibilities include:
- Managing existing clients;
- Approaching new clients, developing and pitching productions and, ultimately, winning new business;
- Managing productions from start to finish, with the help of our team, and ensuring productions are delivered on time and on budget;
- Managing staff and freelancers (you will be joining a lean production company, including a full-time Production Co-ordinator and full-time Editor, with a regular team of freelancers to support with productions, including camera and sound departments);
- Managing office and company property. The company has temporary offices in Brixton. The company owns more than £40,000 worth of production equipment, including a Canon C300 Mark II;
- Reporting weekly to the Founder / Chairman, who will be available to contact for advice and on key decisions, but the intention is that role of running and growing the company will quickly become yours.
Applicant skills and experience:
As a young company, we particularly value ability and attitude. We need someone who has a burning desire to be their own boss and grow a company – and to embrace the challenges and commitments this brings with it, as well as the huge opportunities.
We recognise that this job will require a wide mix of skills and experience. Our intention is that you will learn and train on the job to fill in any gaps.
- Proven ability to learn quickly and adapt on the job;
- Proven ability to lead a team;
- Experience in at least one of: corporate, documentary or educational productions;
- Experience in winning new business, ideally in government and third sector, particularly universities, think tanks, NGOs;
- Knowledge of the full end-to-end production workflow from concept to finished production on productions with budgets in the region of £20,000 per video;
- Passport permitting international travel;
- Right to work in the UK and EU;
- Bachelors degree or equivalent.
- Knowledge in our areas of specialism: economics, business, finance or public policy;
- Proven ability to produce and direct your own productions to a high level;
- Five years experience in production and/or account management;
- Experience in social media and online marketing;
- Relationships with potential new clients;
- Full driving licence
(Please note this job description identifies the main requirements of the role. It is not an exhaustive list of duties but is intended to reflect the nature, range, and context of the work, which will change over time.)
- Competitive salary;
- Revenue share, giving you a stake in the success of the company;
- Pension and holiday as standard;
- International travel;
- The chance to be your own boss and grow a company.
How to apply
Please click 'Apply' and submit your CV and a brief outline of your skills and experience that will make you the right person to grow Econ Films. Please include at least one suggestion for how you might grow the existing company.
Successful applicants will be invited along to two rounds of interviews and asked to complete a sales pitching exercise.
Interviews will take place on a rolling basis between late November and mid December with a view to starting the job in January.
Deadline: 8 December, but please apply sooner as interviews will be on-going.