Reuters, Journalism Training Programme - Middle East & Africa
REUTERS: WHO WE ARE
Reuters, the news and media division of Thomson Reuters, is the world’s largest independent news provider, reaching more than one billion people every day.
Over 2,000 journalists in nearly 200 locations around the globe deliver unparalleled international and national news coverage in 16 languages with speed, impartiality and insight to professionals via Thomson Reuters desktops, to the world’s media organizations, and directly to consumers on Reuters.com and Reuters TV.
Reuters stays true to the letter and spirit of the Thomson Reuters Trust Principles, ensuring independence, integrity and freedom from bias.
WHAT IS THE JOURNALISM PROGRAMME?
The Reuters Journalism Programme is an opportunity for recent graduates, early career reporters, or professionals with proven experience who are looking to switch careers into journalism.
The programme in 2018 will consist of 6 months of formal and on-the-job journalism training, initially in our London newsroom, followed by one of our other main reporting newsrooms or bureaus in the Middle East or Africa.
We are excited to work with emerging talents who can tell stories from new perspectives and in different formats. As a global business we rely on diversity of culture and thought to deliver on our goals.
To ensure we can do that, we seek diverse, talented and qualified employees with proven knowledge of the Middle East or Africa and fluency in Arabic or a language (apart from English) that is widely spoken in Africa.
- Six-month scheme including intensive training and reporting assignments
- Placement in a major bureau in the Middle East or Africa, such as Lagos, Nairobi, Dakar, Beirut, Cairo or Dubai
- Application due by Friday 22nd December 2017
- Programme begins September 2018
- Participants who excel may be considered for other opportunities
WHAT ARE WE OFFERING?
The Reuters Journalism Programme offers an opportunity to fast-track your journalism career and develop your skills across a variety of subjects and media. Successful applicants will predominantly report in text, but visual reporting skills and story-telling ideas will be welcome.
- Competitive pay
- Placements in an African or Middle Eastern bureau
- Fast-paced reporting on top news stories of the day
- Opportunity to develop journalism skills
WHAT WE ARE LOOKING FOR
- Clear commitment to a career in journalism
- Drive to build sources, break news and deliver deeply reported stories
- Strong interest in issues that affect companies, markets and economies
- Ability to generate original, relevant story ideas
- Ambition to deliver journalism with real impact
- Fluency in written English
- Fluency in Arabic or a language (apart from English) that is widely spoken in Africa.
- Experience living in the Middle East or Africa, alongside a grasp of the history, politics and culture
- Proficiency with data
- An international outlook
Other desired skills (not prerequisites)
- Knowledge or expertise in a relevant field such as banking, financial analysis, accounting, law or computer science
- Proven professional journalism experience
- Proven ability to generate exclusive and agenda-setting stories
- Experience in multi-media story-telling
- Skills in investigative reporting
- Expertise in data analysis or data-driven journalism
- Understanding of how to use social media to report and find sources
Applicants must be eligible to work in the region to which they apply, with exceptions considered for specialist regional knowledge or language skills.
For further information and to apply, please click 'Apply' now.
At Thomson Reuters, we believe what we do matters. We are passionate about our work, inspired by the impact it has on our business and our customers.
As a team, we believe in winning as one - collaborating to reach shared goals, and developing through challenging and meaningful experiences.
With more than 45,000 employees in more than 100 countries, we work flexibly across boundaries and realize innovations that help shape industries around the world. Making this happen is a dynamic, evolving process, and we count on each employee to be a catalyst in driving our performance - and their own.
As a global business, we rely on diversity of culture and thought to deliver on our goals. To ensure we can do that, we seek talented, qualified employees in all our operations around the world regardless of race, color, sex/gender, including pregnancy, gender identity and expression, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, disability, age, marital status, citizen status, veteran status, or any other protected classification under country or local law.
Thomson Reuters is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer providing a drug-free workplace.
Intrigued by a challenge as large and fascinating as the world itself? Come join us - click 'Apply' now.
More information about Thomson Reuters can be found on thomsonreuters.com.