Sky, Senior PR Manager - News Team, Entertainment & Product PR - Maternity Cover
Sky is Europe's leading entertainment company, serving 22.5 million customers across seven countries.
Our business in the UK and Ireland has come a long way since starting out as a satellite broadcaster in 1989 and we’re not stopping there.
We’re home to award-winning teams for everything from Customer Service to Marketing, from Technology to Finance, meaning there’s plenty of opportunity for you, no matter what your career goals.
The Entertainment and Product PR team manage all communications with the media relating to Sky’s original and acquired content and its range of products and services, including Sky Q, Sky Mobile and NOW TV. It is part of the wider Consumer Comms team which also includes News, Cinema and Sport PR, Editorial Information and Social Media.
The main objective of the Entertainment and Product PR team is to deliver high impact, proactive media campaigns for Sky’s content and products across relevant editorial media outlets spanning digital/online, broadcast and print, encouraging customers to watch and value our programming and products and prospective customers to consider a subscription.
The News Team sits within Entertainment and Product PR and works to protect and enhance Sky’s reputation.
The team provides a fully reactive service dealing with any media issues relating to Sky’s content or products, as well as handling all day to day news flow.
Job Purpose / Key Responsibilities:
To provide overall leadership and day to day management of the News Team. The team manages day to day newsflow and announcements (including forward planning), incoming media enquiries, and issues management relating to Entertainment and Products.
The role provides crucial support to the Director of Entertainment and Product PR in handling incoming media issues, and forward planning newsflow for the team.
The members of the News Team reporting to this role rotate into the team on a six-monthly basis, and it is the responsibility of the Senior PR Manager leading the team to ensure they use the opportunity to develop essential skills such writing strong media materials and handling media issues.
Note that pastoral line management of the members of the team sits with the Heads of PR in Entertainment and Product PR.
Key Responsibilities include:
- Own and manage news announcements for entertainment content including commissions and acquisitions, as well as newsflow for Sky’s products not being supported by agencies. This includes the drafting of and managing others to draft high quality media materials including press releases, Q&As, statements etc.
- Work closely with stakeholder managers in the Entertainment and Product PR team to understand and forward plan for forthcoming announcements; manage a forward planning view of all press releases across Consumer Comms, liaising closely with Corporate Comms to ensure joined-up and complementary timings across all announcements.
- Daily media scanning to identify any positive or negative articles that need correcting and/or circulating to senior stakeholders.
- Managing reactive media issues in close collaboration with relevant business stakeholders. These span a broad range of topics from customer service to talent/programming.
- Where relevant, escalating media issues to Consumer Comms leadership team and Execs for input and agreement on handling plans.
- Proactive approach to liaising with key internal stakeholders to ensure a strong understanding of business processes (especially in Customer Service Group), and be on the front foot with any business changes which might require either proactive or reactive handling.
- Develop a strong understanding of key external stakeholders including relevant media outlets, but also to include consumer groups such as Which? and Citizens Advice, liasing with colleagues in Corporate Comms, IR and Regulatory as appropriate.
- Media training spokespeople where required.
- Awards administration.
- Overseeing the administration of the Entspress email and Sky Screening Room service, choosing to take advantage of media opportunities that are beneficial to Sky.
- Training and upskilling members of the Entertainment and Product team who rotate into the News Team. Working with them to hone their writing skills, develop their risk perception and ability to handle issues and customer complaints
To note, exact responsibilities will be dependent on business needs.
- Organised self–starter, able to drive momentum through projects and determine what needs doing to move something forward with minimum input from the team’s Director.
- Excellent communicator, able to handle senior business and external stakeholders with sensitivity and nuance.
- Excellent judgement, in particular in deciding the risk attached to a particular media issue and when/how to escalate upwards versus manage themselves.
- Ability to simplify competing and complex sources of information.
- Ability to help educate and train other members of the News Team.
- Resilient and flexible under pressure.
- Comfortable working in a fast-paced and changing environment.
- Interested in working across a broad spectrum of Sky’s activities.
- The role would be well suited to a candidate who has previously worked in an in-house press office handling incoming and reactive media issues, ideally dealing with consumer affairs/personal finance media.
Essential skills & experience:
- Excellent planning skills with the ability to prioritise and work across multiple projects at any one time.
- Strong media relations skills, preferably with specific experience of dealing with consumer affairs and personal finance journalists and in writing media statements and responses.
- Excellent writing skills including press releases, statements, Q&As. A creative and flexible approach to handling news announcements, with proven experience of developing handling plans for proactive announcements and issues management.
- Strong stakeholder management skills at all levels.
- Highly attuned to risk and able to respond appropriately.
- Ability to act with autonomy and delegate effectively.
- Ability to deliver feedback to other members of the team and coach them on the specific skills needed to excel in the team.
Apply by completing the application form below.
It’s our people that make Sky Europe's leading entertainment company. That’s why we work hard to be an inclusive employer, so everyone at Sky can be their best.