new!, Acting Deputy True Life Editor
Status: Maternity Cover, Casual/ Freelance
new! is looking for a dynamic Acting Deputy True Life Editor for at least six months’ maternity cover starting in late February, working part-time, four days a week.
The successful candidate will assist the True Life Editor in running a busy news desk and will be required to fulfil the following duties:
- Keeping on top of current news, issues, anniversaries, court cases, new releases and important dates
- Reading the daily papers and sending a list of feature ideas to the editors
- Chasing potential interviewees
- Interviewing case studies over the phone and face to face
- Keeping a log of contact details
- Writing engaging, emotive copy to deadline and word count in the typical style of new! magazine
- Invoicing and budgeting, communicating with the accounts department
- Liaising with PRs from charities, publishers and TV channels
- Working closely with news agencies to commission, edit and finalise relevant copy
- Working closely with the True Life Editor to plan and schedule features
- Liaising with picture desk to arrange shoots
- Sourcing pictures from case studies
- Representing the magazine at events
The ideal candidate will have at least two years’ experience as a senior writer or higher on a busy magazine or newspaper health or true life desk, and will already have a contacts book bulging with the best freelancer and agency contacts.
They will have a passion for chasing down stories and finding case studies for both hard-hitting and quirky human interest stories, and must be able to work to tight deadlines on breaking news stories. A professional understanding of journalism law is a requirement, and NCTJ qualifications are a bonus.
If you are interested in this position, please email your CV and covering letter by completing the application form below by close of business on 19 December 2017.