Which? Computing, Editor
We have a unique and exciting opportunity to join our Publishing team at Which?, and are looking for an Editor to lead Which? Computing magazine.
Which? has come a long way from its humble beginnings in 1957 - today, it’s the largest consumer organisation in Europe, with a range of services to meet different consumers’ needs, and more than 1.4 million members and supporters.
That's a huge number of people looking for our expert advice online, in print or over the phone. Which? Computing is a prime example of how we do this very effectively.
Not only is it the bestselling technology magazine in the UK, helping more than 180,000 readers to be confident users of tech products and services, but it is also supported by a fully-staffed Helpdesk that is able to help readers solve computing problems on a one-to-one basis.
We’re now looking for an Editor who will…
- Work with the Editor-in-Chief to shape the overarching publishing strategy and set the future strategic direction and development of Which? Computing magazine, and its associated digital outputs and apps
- Be responsible for the overall content of Which? Computing magazine, and associated digital outputs, ensuring it achieves commercial targets for acquiring, retaining and satisfying its customers
- Commission and edit excellent content for print and digital publications, ensuring it meets the needs of our readers and potential customers. You’ll be expected to commission both staff and freelance writers.
- Work closely with the Art Editor to create useful and visually compelling treatments for the topics covered in the magazine.
- Work closely with the Computing Helpdesk to identify emerging issues that need to be addressed and supported through content via Which? Computing magazine and through digital channels
- Develop those contributing to your product through coaching and support.
- Act as a role model and leader within the organisation, ensuring that plans, people and processes are joined up, prioritised and delivered in such a way that our teams meet their goals.
This is an important publishing role at Which?, with significant editorial and commercial responsibility.
You’ll need to work closely with business leaders, digital, marketing, research and campaigns to ensure that all content is in line with business objectives and delivered within the One Which? approach.
You will need to be deeply connected to both our members and market trends, ensuring we’re able to create relevant, targeted and timely content that will demonstrably meet our audience’s needs.
Through your experience you will bring:
- Proven senior editorial skills including multi-channel commissioning, editing, and editorial product development – ideally on a consumer technology title
- Clear grasp of legal principles and what constitutes responsible journalism
- Strong visual sense, including working with designers to create impactful covers and a coherent overall magazine experience
- Experience of strategic planning and project management, preferably in a matrix organisation
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills, ideally with experience of acting as a spokesperson to the media and other external audiences
- High motivation and exceptional organisational skills, to enable you to prioritise and balance multiple demands
- Excellent leadership skills including the ability to motivate and influence a wide variety of stakeholders.
What we'll give you in return
Our rewards package is one of the best out there. You'll get 28 days' annual leave, an interest-free season ticket loan, life assurance, and a pension scheme that increases to 11% after you've been here for a year.
You'll also get the chance to develop your career. And you can work every day knowing that you're playing your part in making consumers as powerful as the organisations they deal with.
To apply, please send your CV and covering letter by completing the application form below.
Closing date: 28 January
NB - The search for this role is through direct channels only at present, therefore, no agencies are currently being considered.