Fast Track, Senior Writer & Research Manager
Identify, meet and interview Britain’s leading entrepreneurs and see your work published with The Sunday Times
Fast Track, based in St Clements, Oxford, is looking for an experienced business writer and researcher to help draft our extensive written content and to manage the research and publication of one or more of our high-profile annual league tables featuring the UK’s top private companies, published in The Sunday Times.
Joining as a senior member of our 15-strong research team, and working closely with our director of editorial, you will have experience of writing accurately and succinctly for corporate clients and of interviewing c-suite executives. You will also be able to understand private company accounts and project manage a small team of researchers.
You will be attracted to working in Oxford for a small, entrepreneurial company with a successful 21-year track record, and be a graduate with at least three years’ relevant experience, likely gained from working in:
- financial/business journalism and PR
- B2B content in marketing departments/agencies
- private equity or corporate finance firms
- business consultancy or accountancy firms
- Editorial: conduct telephone and face-to-face interviews with the founders and directors of private companies to write succinct company profiles, as well as for written and video case studies for our sponsors, and for Fast Track’s website and digital channels; interview our sponsors and ghost-write engaging thought leadership articles; and write profiles of our alumni dinner speakers and guests, press releases and social media posts
- Research and project management: lead, manage and help conduct the research and publication of one or more of our annual league tables published with The Sunday Times featuring the UK’s top-performing private companies, ranging from the fastest-growing, such as BrewDog and FarFetch, to the biggest, such as Dyson and JCB
- Networking dinners: work closely with our events team (8 people) to help engage league table companies and directors during the research process as part of our alumni network, which will help secure their attendance at some of our 27 annual invitation-only networking dinners; and attend up to 10 dinners a year
- Account handling: help service our blue-chip sponsors, which range from HSBC and PwC (14+yrs) to DHL Express and Virgin Media Business (2 yrs); help prepare for, attend and follow-up on sponsor editorial meetings and help with awards judging
- Graduate with at least three year’s relevant business writing, research and project management experience
- Able to write and edit with meticulous attention to detail, and to tight deadlines
- Some working knowledge of, and interest in, analysing company financial performance in multiple sectors on a micro-level of their accounts, as opposed to aggregated industry trends and insights
- Service-oriented, with excellent inter-personal skills, and some experience of managing people/teams
- Some experience of using financial data sources as research tools, such as Companies House & BvD’s Fame; and competent at Excel
- A strong interest in, and some knowledge of, entrepreneurs and private companies – ideally including tech firms
If you demonstrate sufficient expertise there is the opportunity to take on additional responsibility for servicing our blue-chip clients and for promotion, replacing our current deputy head of editorial who is leaving after four years to help build a new venture.
Who we are
- Fast Track is the UK’s leading research and networking events company focused on top-performing private companies and entrepreneurs, from the fastest-growing tech companies to the largest private companies, which we rank in our annual league tables published in The Sunday Times
- It was founded in 1997 by our chief executive Hamish Stevenson with cornerstone, and ongoing, sponsorship from Richard Branson and Virgin
- Our sole source of revenue is from our blue-chip sponsors, who use it to raise their profile amongst different types of private companies, and to meet and win new business from hard-to-reach entrepreneurs and directors at our company visits and networking events
- We employ 30 full-time members of staff, and nine freelance researchers; some staff have worked with Fast Track for over ten years
What we do
- We research and publish seven annual private company league tables with The Sunday Times; and our 27 highly-regarded, invitation-only events create valuable networking opportunities for their entrepreneurial directors and our sponsors
- We conduct 300+ annual research visits to companies shortlisted for our league tables, accompanied by partners from our sponsors, where we interview the founders, chief executives and finance directors
- Our sponsors include: Virgin (all 21 yrs); UBS Wealth Management, Lloyds & HSBC (14+ yrs); Barclays, BDO, Hiscox & Grant Thornton (8+ yrs); and BGF, BMW & Linklaters (3+ yrs)
- Attendees and speakers at our events range from founders of our alumni growth companies such as Fever-Tree, Matchesfashion.com and Skyscanner, to the founders and CEOs of our alumni from the largest private companies such as Ineos, Dyson, and Pret A Manger
- Our annual flagship conference and awards dinner has been hosted by Richard Branson for all 21 years
Please complete the application form below with a one-page application letter, stating why you would excel in this role, your current salary and notice period, and where you saw the vacancy; and a copy of your CV.
First round interviews will be held between 5pm and 7.30pm on Weds 31 Jan.
For further info, contact Eva Gronbech or Lizzie Ritz on 01865 297 100.