Auction Technology Group, Deputy Editor
We are looking for a dynamic, talented and organised deputy editor to work on our flagship title, industry weekly bible Antiques Trade Gazette and its special projects, helping to lead our busy and lively editorial team.
If you have an appreciation of art and antiques, then you would fit in with our team which works across all platforms, from the weekly print newspaper to online, social media and video.
We want someone who can run the editorial desk, generate and manage great features, supplements and content on an exciting sector transformed by new technology and digital channels, and deputise for the editor when necessary.
Working from bright, modern offices in Southwark, London and with opportunities to attend events in the art market’s packed calendar in the UK and overseas, the deputy editor plays a pivotal role in a team that blends art market expert writers with experienced journalists from other industries.
The Gazette is the 47-year old sister brand to art and antiques e-commerce platform thesaleroom.com and other websites, part of the expanding Auction Technology Group located in London and Seattle.
You would be joining an energetic digital company that harnesses a new breed of collectors as well as the more traditional art and antiques lovers in a global $45bn marketplace.
- Support Editor in the day-to-day running of Antiques Trade Gazette, with a particular mission to grow our digital footprint in evolving as well as traditional collecting markets
- Manage print workflow, liaising with the news and digital editors, upholding editorial style, policy and accuracy
- Commission and manage features and supplements, in a way that helps boost circulation, web traffic and ATG’s authority as the ‘bible’ of the art and antiques market
- Write features and news for print and online
- Manage features/contributors budget
- Write clear, concise briefs, commission and liaise with writers, internally and with external freelancers. Ensure copy is filed on time and to a high standard; sub for print and for online
- Lead team to brain-storm ideas for features and supplements to pitch at Editor, taking industry trends into account
- Deputise for the Editor in her absence
- Manage designated staff
- Work collaboratively with key contacts across ATG’s advertising and production teams and our parent, Auction Technology Group
To do this role you’ll need to have:
- Project management skills – you are an organised, resourceful and hard-working person who has produced well-researched, engaging and original features and supplements in high quality print publications
- Your own engaging writing skills, with factual accuracy a priority
- Proficiency in Adobe InDesign, Microsoft Word and Excel, as well as uploading to a website CMS
- Enthusiasm for art and antiques. Expert knowledge of the sector is welcome but is not necessary for this role
- Experience in managing journalists
- Contact building – you demonstrate ability to build contacts externally in the marketplace face-to-face and remotely, and internally with advertising and production teams in particular
- Digital experience – you are digital and social in your work and personal lives, with an ability to think digitally and social media-wise when commissioning print content
- Language skills - welcome but not essential
Apply by completing the application form below.