ZSL, Specialist Media Press Officer
International conservation charity ZSL (Zoological Society of London) is seeking a Specialist Media Press Officer to work within the broader ZSL Press & Publications team.
The position involves working with the Media Manager and the Senior Press Officer for Science & Conservation, on the PR strategy for targeting specialist media including: targeted scientific and conservation publications; trade and business media in the UK; and international media titles, overseas media and bloggers.
The successful candidate will combine exceptional communication skills with the ability to work with non-media focused departments, motivating them to support the Society’s broader communication goals. The post-holder will also be capable of understanding and interacting with the whole of ZSL.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
- Generating coverage for ZSL conservation and science, and also other areas of ZSL as directed.
- Developing channels for content not being distributed through mass market media channels.
- Pitching regular columns by ZSL experts into key vertical media and writing articles and news pieces for external titles.
- As part of annual planning process, agree a list of targeted media with key stakeholders across the society.
- Through effective planning and implementation, ensure KPIs associated with the targeted media are met.
- Working closely with science and conservation on regional or country-specific content to be positioned in international media.
- Developing relationships with key trade and specialist journalists and bloggers in the UK and overseas.
- Working closely with the PR & Publishing Assistant to produce evaluation reports on key outputs.
- Excellent written and spoken English.
- Attention to detail, a creative eye and ability to spot and shape a potential story is essential.
- Strong interpersonal skills, as you will be instrumental in the ongoing promotion of ZSL science and conservation programmes.
- Educated to degree level or equivalent qualification, or have relevant work experience.
- An understanding of science-communication and/or background in wildlife conservation is advantageous.
- Prior experience of working as a journalist or press officer in a similarly busy news environment would be advantageous.
- Photography skills are beneficial, and filming/editing skills would also be an asset.
- Flexibility is essential to this post at a strategic level, as plans may need to be revised when events or opportunities arise, and timescales are tight.
Please note: The position may also require working away from the main office, either at ZSL Whipsnade Zoo or in meetings at other locations where media services are based. As such, holding a driver’s license would be advantageous but not essential.
A full job description can be found in the 'Supporting documents' section below.
Click 'Apply' now. Applicants will need to upload their CV and covering letter (detailing relevant experience and skills, stating why they want the position and including details of availability). If you have any queries regarding this position or when applying through the system please contact Human Resources.
Closing date for applications: Midnight (23:59) Sunday 18 March 2018.
The Zoological Society of London is a charity registered in England and Wales: no. 208728.
ZSL kindly requests no contact from agencies or media sales please regarding this position.