The Lawyer, Research Director
This is an exceptional opportunity to contribute to the future of The Lawyer and to lead an area of the business where we are investing and expecting high growth.
The Lawyer is the leading brand of its type, providing market intelligence to the world’s largest law firms.
Our Purpose is to “create indispensable intelligence, learning & communities that legal leaders trust and repeatedly use, because it helps them see around the corners, compete & win, and build great businesses that deliver first class work to clients”.
The Research Director is currently responsible for two product areas – our Market Reports and our Lawyer Research Services (LRS).
Market Reports are our industry-leading benchmarking service; 17 annual reports cover topics such as the UK Top 200 law firms, Global 200 law firms and the quarterly Litigation Tracker; the reports combine rigorous data metrics with exclusive insightful commentary, and are used by law firms to compare their performance to others. Our Market Reports have been cited as the definitive source of information in recent IPO documents.
Our LRS service produces bespoke research reports for law firm and vendor clients using our extensive database of inhouse and private practice lawyers.
The research reports are used to inform strategy and for content marketing; typical recent examples include the challenges of combating IP infringement in the media and entertainment sector for DLA Piper, and a report on how law firms can differentiate themselves for Thomson Reuters.
The Research Director is also a key member of the senior leadership of The Lawyer, expected to contribute to, and help lead, across the piece on trading, product, strategy, organisation and culture of the brand.
- Managing Director, The Lawyer
Works closely with
- Editor & Deputy Editor
- Two Commercial Directors
- Head of Marketing
- Head of Finance
- Team of 4 researchers & data managers
- Team management: and overall responsibility for product quality
- Product strategy: Reviewing our portfolio of Market Reports, gaining feedback from buyers and non-buyers, implementing changes to Report themes and metrics
- Helping to win work: Working with the commercial team to create compelling research ideas and helping to pitch those ideas where necessary
- Product delivery:
- Planning, writing and editing research reports; the role involves considerable writing skills
- Creating and executing research methodologies that underpin reports
- Researching new topics and writing surveys that explore interesting trends
- Managing survey data collection processes; analysing survey and other market data; conducting phone interviews
- Managing and working with internal and external researchers and writers
- Facilitating research workshops with clients and presenting research findings to clients
- Likely to have had several years in a similar role
- Likely to have several years of team or project management
- Outstanding written and verbal communication skills, with evidence of having delivered deep insight through data and content
- Highly comfortable with data and with leading others who are working on data products; experience of working with outsourced teams is helpful
- Must work to tight deadlines and take full responsibility for team output
- Ability to contribute to the senior leadership agenda and evidence of influencing other senior leaders from commercial, product and content backgrounds is essential
- Evidence of working comfortably with clients is essential
- Understanding of the legal market or an equivalent professional services market is helpful but not essential
Apply by completing the application form below.