LPM Magazine, Editor / Assistant Editor
Legal Practice Management (LPM) magazine needs a new editor (or very capable assistant editor) to help the best SME legal business management title flourish.
This is a great opportunity for someone to work in a fast-changing B2B area in a small business that prizes creativity and initiative. Looking for autonomy and the ability to find and develop the direction of a title yourself? This is where you can find that future.
We need a highly capable B2B/trade journalist who has a keen eye for management issues and challenges. We're looking for an editor-grade person – but that doesn't mean you need to have been an editor before.
We will also consider a superb B2B reporter/feature writer who's been a section editor and is looking for a step up to running a B2B title.
The role would be ideal for someone who's been a shining deputy/editor on a small or niche title, looking for a role with more autonomy and decision-making scope.
Duties and requirements
You will take on the day-to-day running and editorial planning of LPM magazine, Burlington's legal business title for law firms and other legal services providers with revenues between £1m-£18/20m.
You will be part of a three/four-person dedicated editorial team producing LPM and Briefing magazines (two editors, one editorial assistant, one intern) and report initially to the director for creative.
- Plan (with the editor-in-chief) and create content for the magazine
- Write editorial and advertorial
- Add and maintain LPM content online
- Lay out, sub-edit and proof the title each month using Adobe InDesign
- Carry production of the magazine all the way to print
- Plan and produce LPM supplements and research reports
- Book and manage photographers
- Work with LPM's conference producer on conference content planning
You will also learn the market segment of and work on Burlington Media’s monthly title for large law firms, Briefing.
You will also:
- Represent LPM at the magazine brand's own events and external events
- Produce coverage of LPM and Briefing conferences when required
- Maintain regular blogging and other digital work, and work alongside others to to manage and expand LPM's online community
- Become involved with and create a leading voice on our social media channels - LinkedIn groups, Twitter etc by posting content, moderating and encouraging replies
- Work with other members of the editorial staff to create compelling reports/analysis based on research carried out by Burlington Media and partners
- Co-produce multimedia content for LPM and Briefing
- Over a year full-time working experience as a reporter/features writer in trade publishing
- Excellent writing, interviewing and editing skills
- Knowledge or good understanding of the legal industry, or experience covering professional services or similar business areas
- Excellent attention to detail
- Good intuition, keen to use initiative
- Ability to write fluidly and with flair and concision
- Great sub-editing skills and English language
- Good layout skills (using Adobe InDesign)
- An understanding of the specific needs of B2B publishing
- Highly IT literate - technophobes need not apply
- Experience at commissioning/section editor level
- Experience writing customer content, such as case studies
- External or internal editorial training in writing/editing, media law and publishing process
- Online/digital writing training/experience
- Experience/training in website CMS use
- Image manipulation skills (Photoshop or similar)
- Writing for SEO training/experience
Find out more about LPM’s work online:
The right people quickly progress and gain responsibility at Burlington media. We're a small business and we all wear a lot of hats (which gets quite hot). This means that you'll probably be asked to do other things, all the time, that lie outside the basic skill set above. There is a lot of scope for advancement at Burlington for the right person.
We demand that people who work for Burlington be self-starting, initiative-rich, "I'll do that!" people. In return, there's great opportunity at Burlington to take on bigger roles faster than you would at any large, lumbering media business. All it takes is brilliance, the ability to read people's minds, client-facing nous and the will and capability to do stuff really, really well.
About Burlington Media Group
Burlington Media Group is a B2B online media, magazine publishing and conferences/events business based in Mortlake, SW14, focusing on the legal business services audience - that is, those employed by law firms/legal services companies not generally engaged in providing frontline legal services.
Our audience is finance, HR, IT, marketing and BD, knowledge management, general management and operations and risk/compliance, facilities etc, and well as senior managing lawyers.
We operate websites, publish two print/digital monthly B2B magazines, put on conferences and networking events throughout the year, curate several social media groups/communities with thousands of members, publish weekly email newsletters, carry out research and produce reports - and much more besides.
How to apply
If you want more information about the role or Burlington Media, don't be afraid to ask.
Apply with your CV and short covering letter explaining how you match the criteria for this role to Rupert Collins-White, Creative Director, Burlington Media Group, by completing the application form below.
Apply for LPM Magazine, Editor / Assistant Editor
Already uploaded your CV? Sign in to apply instantly