VOGUE, Design Director
British Vogue is looking for a talented and experienced Design Director to join its art team at an exciting time in the brand’s history.
Reporting in to the Creative Director, he/she will create beautiful, visionary design while helping to oversee the day-to-day management of the British Vogue art and picture desks.
The role requires a designer/art director with a solid background in fashion publications, who can execute the Editor-in-Chief and Creative Director’s vision and help inform the future of British Vogue’s design direction. Thorough knowledge of the market is a must, as is a passion for all things Vogue.
The successful candidate will have an enviable contacts book that will contribute to our selection of stylists, illustrators and photographers across all areas of British Vogue, as well as having the skillset and leadership ability to mentor more junior members of the team.
First-class communication skills are a must, as this is a role that involves liaising with the Creative Director, Editor-in-Chief and myriad section editors to keep a large editorial team on top of design changes while maintaining British Vogue’s high standards of design.
This is a newly created role and a rare opportunity to join the biggest name in fashion publishing at an exciting time.
Key Duties & Responsibilities
- Assisting the Creative Director in overseeing the art direction of all aspects of the British Vogue brand.
- Ensuring that the vision of the Editor-in-Chief and Creative Director is precisely executed, while contributing to top-level design developments.
- Art-directing shoots with clarity as to how the project will look on the page, with an eye for spotting opportunities for generating additional content while on set or after the event.
- Designing pages and ensuring that layouts created by the wider art team are of the highest standard and are checked thoroughly before progressing through production.
- Managing the art and picture team’s workload effectively through delegation, ensuring that the art department creates exceptional work to exacting deadlines.
- Developing design and shoot concepts, selecting photographers, stylists and illustrators for projects.
- Checking pages before and after they are sent to repro, liaising closely with the in-house production and repro team.
Essential Skills & Requirements
- High-level proficiency with InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator, Bridge and other design tools.
- A meticulous eye for detail and highly developed design sensibility.
- Experience of working with designers, editors, photographers and stylists at the very top level.
- Enviable contacts book – from freelance designers to stylists, photographers to agents.
- Encyclopaedic knowledge of, and enthusiasm for, magazine design, typography, photography and illustration.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Superb organisational and management skills, ability to multi-task under while allowing creativity to flourish.
- Problem-solving skills and the ability to develop design solutions to a changing brief.
Click 'Apply' now.