Global Blue, Picture Editor - Maternity Cover
Global Blue is looking for a full-time Picture Editor to provide maternity cover.
Reporting to the Editor-in-Chief, you will supervise the day-to-day running of the picture team working across SHOP magazine, our portfolio of international travel and luxury shopping guides, commercial publications and the Global Blue websites (English, Chinese and Russian).
Global Blue publishes SHOP Magazine in over 20 key cities around the world, the latest of which can be viewed here - issuu.com/globalblue. SHOP Magazine connects international travellers with the most fabulous brands, products and places around the world.
The successful candidate will have proven experience of organising a picture team whilst ensuring that the magazine is printed on schedule to a high standard.
You will have great relationships with picture agencies and photographer’s agents together with a high knowledge of photo research. As well as great knowledge of imagery suitable for online.
The candidate will have the skills to provide imaginative, knowledgeable and resourceful picture research which reflects and illustrates the impressive visual quality of SHOP magazine and across the three websites.
To ensure that budgets are adhered to and the best rates are achieved for commissions. To work closely with the members of the editorial team to achieve the look of the magazine, working to deadlines and overseeing all aspects off the picture team.
- Line manage team according to the value system, conducting PE’s and ensuring development of their skills and effectiveness as a team, recruiting new staff members where needed
- Manage an effective picture workflow for print and online from obtaining images through to delivery (including loading online images to the CMS)
- Ensuring deadlines are met for all magazine images and that images are delivered to a high standard and appropriate to the SHOP readership
- Ensuring that we are adhering to intellectual property laws online and in print to the best of your knowledge
- Regularly checking the Global Blue websites
- Supporting the department where needed with image advice and help
- Receive and delegate the SHOP magazine feature image research, ensuring deadlines are met and managing 100% of the edits
- Picture research for SHOP magazine
- Develop and maintain relationships with image libraries with SHOP and the Global Blue editorial websites in mind, negotiating rates and terms
- Source and commission street style photography and other photography as needed
- Source and commission illustrations for all SHOP magazines and pre-travel publications - Collections, Maps, Itinerary and Supplements.
- Maintain and manage the DAM system
- Keep accurate spending logs of image purchases and commissions, ensuring within budget
- Proof all print editions of the magazine to check for image quality, and accurate photo credits and captions, and sending collated amends to the lead sub
- Overseeing image retouching, ensuring images used in print and online are retouched to a high standard, retouching where needed
- Colour proofing SHOP magazine editions
- Checking cromalins for colour
- Develop and maintain relationships with international brand PRs and photographers in over 40 worldwide destinations
- Receiving and delegating SHOP and online content to team members as required
- Keep up to date with new designers, labels, stores, bloggers, industry figures and trends
- Attend photography and illustration events
- Daily use of the VIP4 online flatplan management system
- Covering other team members tasks when they are absent due to sickness or annual leave
- Supporting senior members of staff
- Proven experience delivering the smooth running of a picture desk with experience working for a high end luxury magazine and online
- Proven experience of commissioning top illustrators to brief
- Ability to develop a high profile and co-operative relationship with the rest of the picture team and the staff members
- To be able to keep the overall style and visual look of SHOP magazine and Global Blue
- Excellent attention to detail
- Aptitude for organisation and planning
- Demonstrable experience commissioning photography and illustrators
Apply by completing the application form below.