UK Finance, Press Officer
About UK Finance
UK Finance is the new financial services trade association launched on 1 July 2017. It was formed by the integration of the British Bankers Association, Council of Mortgage Lenders, Payments UK, UK Cards Association, Asset Based Finance Association and Financial Fraud UK.
UK Finance aspires to be a world-class trade association, and currently represents the UK-based activities of around 300 members across retail and commercial banking, mortgage, cards/payments, investment/wholesale banking, private banking, payments and asset based finance.
It works at the highest level with industry, government, regulators and the media. In 2014, the financial services sector contributed over £100bn in GVA in the UK, more than 5% of the total. And this if anything understates the importance of the sector to the UK economy, as it continues to have a more than £30bn trade surplus in financial services and pay over £70bn in tax per annum.
Responsibilities of UK Finance include representation of members and advocacy on behalf of the sector, and being the first point of contact for key stakeholders including government, regulators, media and user groups on matters affecting Members. UK Finance’s goal is to ensure that the UK retains its role as a global leader in financial services.
- Promote the image of UK Finance and the industry through internal and external communications to enhance customer, member and employee satisfaction and support achievement of the business strategy.
- Increase the organisation’s profile and enhance its reputation across all media, and with all relevant influencers and organisations, leading on media relations and including: liaising with journalists, preparing press releases and press briefings.
- Deliver the communications strategy for the association, ensuring alignment with the wider membership and the policy and engagement strategy.
Duties and responsibilities
- Support the Head of Media and press team in handling reactive day to day media relations: responding to press calls and drafting reactive lines, coordinating broadcast media bids, preparing press releases and press briefings for the CEO and senior policy colleagues, identifying opportunities to place proactive coverage particularly in consumer and trade media, taking a lead on digital communications and pushing our content out via social media. There will be ownership of projects so you’ll need to be organised and capable of juggling a varied workload to tight deadlines.
- Act as a spokesperson for UK Finance on all media outlets and provide an out of hours media service as part of a rota system; and monitoring news and breaking stories and flagging to relevant internal teams.
- As part of a rota write the daily Brief, our daily industry news digest, 5 days a week, 45 weeks a year. The brief takes 2-3 hours to put together every day and the aim is for this to land in inboxes no later than 10.30am.
- Work with the Head of Media and Senior Press Officer to maintain UK Finance’s long term strategic ‘forward look’ grid and coordinate media activity accordingly.
- Build and maintaining strong relationships with journalists as well as leading on key trade publications.
- Monitoring news and breaking stories, developments online and social media and flagging to relevant internal teams.
- Draft articles for trade press, CEO newsletter, UK Finance blogs (working with policy directors).
- Supporting the Digital & Social Media Manager on all social media activity for UK Finance and monitoring social media channels for issues of interest. Work closely with UK Finance Content team in enhancing our digital and social media content, preparing UK Finance content calendar for Twitter, LinkedIn.
- Be responsible for collecting and flagging all UK Finance media coverage and working with the team PA to log them as part of a ‘coverage book’ (a compendium of all media coverage secured by UK Finance), which is then circulated to members and our Board on a regular basis.
- Creatively seeking proactive media opportunities to promote UK Finance and its work.
- Ensuring editorial standards are met and maintained in print and online.
- Work proactively and collaboratively with the commercial arm of UK Finance to ensure our externally produced events and conferences are well publicised and supported in national press, trade media and social media.
- Degree or equivalent
Skills and competencies
- Evidence of experience working in an environment where producing written content to high quality was essential.
- Having worked in a busy press office and proof of having landed proactive stories in the media.
- Strong writing skills.
- Experience dealing with journalists face-to-face and on the phone, with the ability to grasp complex issues and products quickly.
- Drafting press releases and QnAs.
- Media handling with broadcast, print, regional and trade news organisations.
- Business and /or consumer media.
- Devising and delivering proactive media coverage.
- Social media.
Desirable knowledge (though not essential)
- Knowledge of banking (either wholesale or retail banking).
- Good communicator: articulate and succinct, excellent command of written and spoken English.
- Good media, political and sector judgement.
- Determined, enthusiastic and proactive ‘can do’ attitude.
- Rigorous attention to detail (proofing etc) and high standards in all work.
- Excellent time management skills and ability to juggle multiple tasks simultaneously.
- Ability to get on with people at all levels and from all backgrounds.
- ‘Service’ mentality – going above and beyond for team members, colleagues and members.
- Ability to manage relationships with media and other stakeholders.
- Resilient and willing to work longer hours and flexibly when required.
- Ability to hit deadlines and deliver to the highest standards, first time around.
Apply by completing the application form below.