South China Morning Post, Asia Editor (Hong Kong)
The South China Morning Post is hiring for our Asia Desk to expand our coverage of diplomacy, security, politics, economics and business across the region.
We aim to shine a spotlight on the tensions and opportunities related to China’s growing power and influence in the Asia region. As part of this transformation, we are seeking a veteran of the region to head the team as our Asia Editor.
The successful candidate will lead a rapidly expanding team including correspondents, copy editors and our wider Asia reporting network
The Asia Editor will drive the news agenda and highlight our regional expertise in the pages of our weekly Sunday print magazine This Week In Asia and the daily South China Morning Post, as well as for our growing digital readership on SCMP.com.
- Driving the news agenda for our Asia coverage through meticulous planning and close coordination with other Editorial teams
- Developing and delivering on strategies to grow our news coverage and readership across Asia and globally
- Editing, checking facts, rewriting and improving copy with care and sensitivity; ensuring copy is error-free; crafting top-notch SEO headlines and captions; ensuring all stories have the appropriate, accurate and eye-catching visual elements
- Using analytical tools to make sure the right stories are delivered in a timely way in the right formats to the right audience
- Capable of turning around raw copy fast when needed and the patience to work constructively with reporters based in capitals across Asia for whom English may not be a first language
- Reporting on Asia regional issues, occasional travel opportunities
- Ensure stories include the relevant context to ensure copy appeals to a global readership
- Minimum 10 years of experience in a real-time online news operation, a wire service or a newspaper is essential
- Proven track record of news and team leadership
- Experience with print production helpful for publishing our Sunday magazine
- Previous experience in Asia regional economics, politics, and/or diplomatic fields essential; experience reporting from an Asian country or countries expected
- Awareness of media law and legal dangers in copy
- Strong familiarity with the China/Asia context
- Can-do attitude with top-notch English subbing skills and zero tolerance for errors in grammar, spelling and content
- Solid news judgment and the ability to communicate clearly and concisely
- Ability to make good use of social media as a news dissemination tool
Work location will be at Causeway Bay office.
Apply by completing the application form below.
Our Privacy Notice aims to comply with all relevant data privacy and protection laws. You should read the Privacy Notice in full at corp.scmp.com/privacy-policy/.
You may consider your application unsuccessful if you do not hear from us within 6 weeks.