South China Morning Post, Beat Reporters (Hong Kong)
The South China Morning Post is hiring reporters for our Hong Kong desk to cover a range of beats including welfare, economy, education and general assignment.
We are seeking reporters with extensive reporting experience writing all genres of stories, from breaking news to exclusives and interviews, analyses and long reads.
The successful candidate will join an expanding team reporting on critical issues involving Hong Kong and Greater China. The content will feature daily in the South China Morning Post, and be published for our rapidly growing digital readership on SCMP.com.
- Report and write stories in all formats from breaking and spot news to exclusive stories and interviews, explainers, analyses and long-reads
- Accuracy is key. The reporter will check facts and deliver clean, error-free content on deadline
- The reporter will maintain and grow a network of Hong Kong contacts and sources on their beat, from officials to academics, business leaders and members of the public
- The correspondent will maintain a WIP list and work closely with editors to deliver a steady flow of stories on their beat
- The reporter will strive to write with relevant context in order to make the Hong Kong story relevant to a global audience
- Minimum 5 years of reporting experience in Hong Kong for a real-time online news operation, a wire service or a newspaper is essential
- Previous experience reporting in the relevant beats preferred
- Awareness of media law and legal dangers in copy
- Ability to make good use of social media as a news dissemination tool
- Strong familiarity with the China/Asia context
- Solid news judgment and the ability to communicate clearly and concisely
Work location will be at Causeway Bay office.
Apply by completing the application form below.
Our Privacy Notice aims to comply with all relevant data privacy and protection laws. You should read the Privacy Notice in full at corp.scmp.com/privacy-policy/.
You may consider your application unsuccessful if you do not hear from us within 6 weeks.
Apply for South China Morning Post, Beat Reporters (Hong Kong)
Already uploaded your CV? Sign in to apply instantly