Director of Content - Health Care, SmartBrief - DC
The Director of Content, Health Care, oversees the editorial and management functions for SmartBrief’s email newsletters in health care and life sciences, as well as for the company’s custom content in the health care/life sciences space.
- Managing a team of full-time and part-time editors, as well as full-time and freelance writers, who produce around 50 newsletters on health care topics. The director is responsible for recruiting, growing and managing the team, as well as consulting, creating content and planning projects for the newsletters.
- Managing and working with the health care custom content editor to create and keep track of all health-care and life-sciences related custom content projects. This includes participating in sales calls, editing copy and recruiting freelance writers.
- Working with the sales team to identify and provide information for new partner prospects, and participating in the launch process once new partners are signed.
- Editing daily newsletters in addition to management duties.
- Working with other teams in the company to evaluate and develop new opportunities and initiatives for newsletters and content products.
- Maintain partnerships with clients including trade associations and advertising clients.
This position is supervisory and hands-on, with the director of health care content supervising editors and writers both on staff and freelance.
This position also plays an advisory role in product development as needed, working with the vice president of content and other departments within SmartBrief.
The director of health care content needs to be extremely organized, able to manage multiple projects simultaneously and adhere to deadlines. Experience in supervising a staff as well as launching and editing publications is essential.
The director of health care content reports to the vice president of content.
Experience required for a successful director, health care content:
- At least eight years of experience in the journalism profession with prior management experience and demonstrated health care expertise.
- Experience managing full-time staff as well as freelancers and part-timers.
- Proven ability to work effectively with all levels of management and staff.
- Demonstrated ability to handle matters of a highly confidential nature with absolute discretion.
- Proven ability to work well independently as well as prioritize and manage various simultaneous assignments in a multitasking environment, paying close attention to details under tight deadlines.
- Firm grasp of copy editing and fact-checking basics, as well as a thorough knowledge of AP style.
- Possess impeccable analytical, organizational, interpersonal and problem-solving skills.
- Possess strong oral and written communications skills.
- Willing to take initiative and get involved wherever necessary.
- Must have a bachelor's degree or higher.
Click 'Apply' now.