Grazia, Online Deputy Editor
We are looking for a new deputy editor for Grazia online – the website for the Grazia brand.
The ideal candidate will be a digital native & obsessive, with a proven track record at writing, uploading and seeding audience-focused digital content that’s on brand and fully optimised for search.
They will be an excellent writer and ideas generator, brilliant case study finder, have a bulging contacts book of PRs and writers to commission and understand what makes content compulsive and shareable.
Roles and responsibilities
- Deputise for the editor in her absence
- Run conference in the editor’s absence
- Line managing the three staff writers, tracking their progress and ensuring they are fully supported and their development needs are met.
- Write or commission 12-15 articles a week
- Update and optimise articles for search
- Liaise with PRs and external writers/contacts to ensure Grazia online features exclusive content in the features section specifically
- Keep abreast of traffic against targets
- Forward planning and management of editorial/social calendars
- Staffing admin where required (eg compiling of rotas, covering events)
- Attending ad hoc commercial meetings and generate digital creative ideas where required, specifically when they relate to the features section.
- Work with the editor and the rest of the team to develop new editorial franchises and feature ideas that capitalise on key traffic periods and key touchpoints in our audience’s year.
- Commissioning high quality content from freelancers
- Strong understanding of the future vision of the Grazia brand, the cast and characters and key pillars, including hot takes on the day’s biggest celebrity news stories, high-low fashion and issues relating to Grazia women in their 20s, 30s and 40s.
- The ability to pitch smart, unique takes on the day’s news and main talking points daily in conference that will generate traffic and engagement
- A proven background in commissioning and editing quality long-form features from high-profile writers
- High levels of understanding of on-page SEO, and good understanding of keyword strategy, and the ability to both put this into practice, and pass this knowledge onto more junior members of the team.
- A strong understanding of how to translate Grazia content into smart and clickable social franchises
- A proven ability to create and run campaigns, content series and specials
- A proven ability to proactively line manage junior members of staff and deal with any issues that may arise.
- A willingness to work closely with the magazine team to help ensure that both formats complement and support each other
- Established social footprint
- Strong understanding of the digital landscape
- Strong understanding of the audience and always writing with the reader in mind. Keenness to stay informed, seeking out data and insight about the audience to inform content
- Strong commercial awareness
- Willingness to go above and beyond the role to ensure meeting targets and driving the brand forward, demonstrating high levels of commitment and flexibility.
Please send a CV and cover letter to Rebecca Holman by completing the application form below.
Closing Date for applications: Friday 22 June 2018