The Lawyer, Journalist - Maternity Cover
Division: Legal & Finance
Reports to: News Editor, Editor
Purpose of Role
The successful candidate will be responsible for writing exclusive and off-diary news stories for online and print. They must develop and maintain strong industry contacts, work to deadlines and represent The Lawyer at industry events.
Context of the Role
The Lawyer, the leading print and online business publication for the legal world, is looking for a journalist. The ideal candidate will be an ambitious business reporter that has either recently completed their journalism training or who has one or two years of experience.
- The job involves dealing with senior global lawyers on a daily basis - breaking news, writing exclusive interviews and features, and working with a team of colleagues on The Lawyer’s online and print products. The Lawyer is also known for its investigative content, and the successful candidate would be a contributing part to future exclusive insight.
- Knowledge of the legal industry is desired but not essential, we are looking for candidates with a strong interest in business journalism and breaking news in a versatile role.
- Sourcing and investigating exclusive news stories via contacts, tip-offs and social and other media.
- Writing clear copy that needs minimal subbing
- Meeting fast deadlines.
- Interviewing industry contacts.
- Generating ideas, both news and features.
- Writing long-form content and data analysis
- Attending and reporting on conferences, round-tables and other events.
- Writing off-diary news.
- Writing analysis pieces based on current news items.
- Creating and uploading news content for The Lawyer website.
- External: Building up contacts and maintaining existing relationships.
- External: Sourcing contacts that are unknown/unused by rivals in the market.
- Internal: Understanding the team's beats by working collaboratively and sharing information
- Internal: Communicating ideas and progress with the editors
Key Skills & Knowledge
- Ability to produce accurate copy quickly and within deadline.
- Managing competing deadlines.
- Strong news sense.
- Ability to generate his or her own contacts both in and outside work hours
- Experience in a reporting role
- An understanding of ethics and confidentiality
- Qualification in journalism
- Industry knowledge
- Mathematical competence
- Balanced Judgement
Apply by completing the application form below.
Apply for The Lawyer, Journalist - Maternity Cover
Already uploaded your CV? Sign in to apply instantly