The Independent, Senior Video Journalist
ESI Media is an innovative multichannel media business, with a cross-platform reach of 23.1m. Our brands include the London Evening Standard, The Independent and London Live. We have offices based in the UK and US.
Independent Video Team
You’ll be joining a group of video journalists during an exciting time of expansion for the department. Shooting, editing, sourcing and clearing video are the department’s priorities as it works with journalists from across the globe on breaking news, features and current affairs.
As a Senior Video Journalist you will produce engaging content for The Independent’s website and social media channels on a wide range of topics.
Reporting to the Head of Video you will pitch video ideas, react to breaking stories, attend daily news meetings and be involved in long form productions. You will be expected to shoot and edit original content, write scripts and source footage.
- You will have news instinct, have the ability to spot a great story and an appreciation of what type of content works well online
- Thrive in a fast paced, busy newsroom and have the ability to work under pressure
- Have the ability to lead shifts when necessary and work to flexible hours including evenings and weekends
- Have a good understanding of media law, specifically issues surrounding copyright
- Have an understanding of data analytics and be able to work to targets
You will have to:
- Shoot and edit video to tight deadlines
- Deliver engaging content
- Work well with members of other teams to optimise department performance
- Ensure your work is always the highest possible standard it can be
- Be comfortable clearing footage from social media
- Ensure any content produced satisfies legal requirements
Skills and experience
- Minimum three years’ newsroom experience
- Ability to generate stories using video
- Identify videos that have high traffic potential
- Edit video in Adobe Premiere Pro
- Understanding of SEO
- NCTJ/BJTC qualification
- Confidence communicating with senior editors about ideas and pitches
- Experience using other Adobe CC software i.e After Effects
- Continuous Improvement – Works in a smart, flexible and focussed way, is open to change and suggests ideas for improvements to the way things are done.
- Collaboration – Builds and maintains positive and supportive working relationships with colleagues. Helps to create an inclusive and professional work environment.
- Building Capability – Keeps own knowledge and skill set current and evolving and looks for ways to continue learning to support the achievement of business objectives.
- Quality Service – Delivers high quality and efficient service and takes account of the diverse customer needs and requirements when looking at ways to improve service quality.
- Responsive Delivery – Works to agreed business goals and objectives and deals with challenges in a constructive and responsive way. Takes personal responsibility for quality of outputs.
Apply by completing the application form below.
Closing date: 29 June 2018
Apply for The Independent, Senior Video Journalist
Already uploaded your CV? Sign in to apply instantly