Yandell Media Group, Deputy Editor - Travel, Leisure & Education Portfolio
An opportunity has arisen to join our niche media company in Milton Keynes as deputy editor of the travel, leisure and education portfolio.
The division includes two magazines, websites, e-newsletters, plus a range of annual publications, supplements and directories – as well as awards and a major exhibition.
About the titles
Group Leisure & Travel is the UK’s number one magazine for people who organise group trips and holidays and is published monthly. Its aim is to inspire group travel organisers with the latest news and ideas for day excursions, theatre trips, short breaks, as well as European and long-haul travel. Plus, the magazine’s website is updated daily with exclusive content with plans afoot for significant developments this year.
School Travel Organiser is a monthly magazine posted to thousands of teachers across the UK to give ideas and advice when it comes to school trips and learning outside the classroom. Each issue is packed with exclusive and original content including topical features, analysis of relevant research, interviews and practical advice as well as suggestions for a whole range of school trips for both primary and secondary schools.
Reporting to the editor, this role requires you to have the ability to work under pressure to meet constant deadlines for both print, online and social media. We’re looking for somebody who is a good creative thinker and uses their initiative to build upon and develop the success of the publications and brands.
Being organised and having first class attention to detail while being able to create content that is appealing to the readership is essential.
As well as writing and editing content in conjunction with the editor, you’ll be required to attend awards ceremonies, events, launches and exhibitions. This will mean working weekends and evenings on occasion. Some involvement with the company’s other portfolio – B2B titles for the food sector – may also be required.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Assist the editor in the production of the titles including the sourcing and writing of editorial content, flat planning, meeting specified production and print deadlines, and dealing with databases and admin work.
- Working with the CMS to create news and features with eye-catching headlines and to update existing pages where instructed.
- Source and write stories and features that work across all platforms; print, online and social media. This will include conducting interviews with anyone from a group travel organiser to a teacher or chief executive of a travel company.
- Understand and be active on social media, promoting your title’s stories and content within company guidelines.
- Build a wide range of contacts and work with advertisers to ensure their needs are met.
- Involvement in the reader awards of both magazines and the annual exhibition for travel organisers at the NEC.
The successful candidate will have:
- Fast, accurate and superb writing and editing skills with a proven ability in producing accurate, clean, engaging copy under pressure.
- Previously worked with content management systems for producing web content.
- Experience managing social media channels.
- Great subbing skills and a creative eye when it comes to design.
- Ability to demonstrate use of initiative and creative thinking.
- The ability to uphold and demonstrate the highest editorial standards and to lead by example.
- Experience of the travel and education sectors would be an advantage but is not essential.
- A journalism qualification and/or 100 WPM shorthand would be an advantage but is not essential.
Complete the application form below to send a covering letter telling us why you’re the person we’re looking for. Also include details of your current salary and location, together with your CV and examples of your editorial work (published articles etc) to Keeley Rodgers.
We will only contact applicants who are successful in obtaining an interview and may close the position early if we find the right person.
(No agencies please)
Apply for Yandell Media Group, Deputy Editor - Travel, Leisure & Education Portfolio
Already uploaded your CV? Sign in to apply instantly