Hearst, Art Editor - Homes Hub | Country Living / House Beautiful / Elle Decoration
The Lifestyle publishing division at Hearst Magazines UK is home to some of the world’s most iconic and successful magazine brands including Good Housekeeping, Country Living, ELLE Decoration, Prima, Red and House Beautiful.
We pride ourselves on giving our readers outstanding quality journalism, originality and unforgettable brand experiences all delivered with passion, creativity and expertise.
As a senior member of the Art Hub you will work closely with the Creative Directors to develop and implement visual content across the Homes brands (House Beautiful / Country Living / Elle Decoration) from initial design concept through to the final product.
This will include the core magazine and all brand extensions. Adhering to the creative strategy communicated by the Creative Director and the brand design blue print, you will lead the team in creating wonderfully imaginative layouts and marketing materials. You will also regularly engineer and oversee work distribution across the art hub, managing the Designer and Junior Designer positions.
- Create artistic content that thrills and delights our audiences and advertisers
- To organise and oversee the distribution of workload across the art hub, ensuring editorial standards are being met by all designers across all brands
- To manage the designers and junior designers in the team to ensure they are producing the highest quality layouts and meeting their deadlines efficiently
- Using the Creative Strategy as a foundation, create a blue print that all team members can refer to when designing to create continuity across all elements of the brand including awards, events, specials etc
- Work to a unique visual style for each brand that drives home its unique positioning in the mind of the consumer
- Monitor overall production throughout each print issue
- Design pages that perfectly complement the editorial content and that follow the house style whilst maintaining the individual style, design and look of each individual brand. Understand the visual difference of the brands and have a disciplined approach to maintaining their visual identities. To be aware of translating designs into other formats such as events etc
- Work with the Workflow Director to ensure all deadlines are met. Take responsibility for keeping a record of the progress of layouts and proofs to and from subs to keep up to date with deadlines
- To work with industry-standard toolsets to complete your work, as well as work within the prescribed processes of the structured workflow systems used to create content
- To be aware of budgets and help ensure the brands are on budget
- To be fully involved with and cognisant of all aspects of pre-press; namely: Colour management, including changing and enhancing colour for press, Image manipulation
- Cut-outs including use of fluid masks, PDF pre-flighting
- To deputise for the Creative Directors at editorial meetings and shoots, as required
- To commission photographers and illustrators after discussion with the Creative Directors and/or Executive Editors. To ensure illustrators meet deadlines as necessary
- To organise any shoots as requested and where possible collaborate with colleagues to create cost efficiencies.
- To work alongside the picture editor, and to take responsibility in the absence of the Creative Directors
- To liaise with other relevant departments to discuss effectiveness of particular content in both print and digital
- To undertake any other duties that may reasonably be required
- To maintain the high standard of design on the brand, and to look for fresh solutions and ideas, as well as maintaining an excellent eye for editing shoots
- You will be required to undertake commercial editorial work as and when requested by the Company
- You may be required to attend reader events, some of which may be evenings
- To keep up-to-date with competitive set.
- Demonstrable design experience on a consumer title
- An active interest in the House Beautiful, Country Living and ELLE Deco brands
- Team player
- Organised and methodical approach to work
- Collaborative approach and able to work effectively when under pressure
- Familiarity with design tools such as InDesign and Photoshop.
Click 'Apply' now.