The Times & The Sunday Times, Interactive Journalist
We are looking for an ambitious journalist to join our interactive team, which works with both The Times and The Sunday Times newsrooms. The successful candidate will be a crucial member of this small, innovative group with wide-ranging responsibilities.
Our team sits close to the action and is central to the editorial process. We are looking for a journalist proficient in visual storytelling techniques to bring articles to life digitally and ensure that both titles are at the cutting edge of interactive journalism.
From building charts, maps, quizzes and timelines for day-to-day news stories to working as part of a team on longer-term projects such as the 2017 general election or the UK’s 100 best places to live, the role is immensely varied.
You will have plenty of independence and be able to help journalists visualise their stories using a range of in-house tools and data visualisation techniques.
You will also find your own stories to work on: sourcing and analysing datasets, we expect you to write exclusives based on your findings and lead the creation of bespoke interactives to help our readers discover more about your research.
A typical week
- Attend the daily news conference to hear what stories are being published and identify opportunities to enhance them digitally for our three daily editions
- Work with journalists and section editors to enhance stories for our digital products
- Produce interactive stories using a combination of in-house and external tools
- Produce bespoke, responsive interactive content for stories
- Work on longer-term projects such as the 2018 football World Cup or the US presidential election
We are looking for a person who
- Has strong news judgment and understand what makes a good Times and Sunday Times story
- Enjoys collaborating with others and works well in groups
- Can clearly and articulately express ideas
- Has excellent communication skills
- Works well under pressure and to deadlines
- Can understand, interpret and use data sets to visualise stories in an engaging way
- Will work closely with reporters, using data journalism techniques to find stories
- Has an eagerness to learn and be at the cutting edge of interactive storytelling
- Is able to juggle multiple projects and brilliant time management skills
- Experience in journalism (e.g. news writing, investigative research)
- Experience of using a wide range of visualisation libraries/tools/technologies (e.g. D3, mapping APIs)
- Proficiency in creating data visualisations for the web
- Proficiency with spreadsheet work and/or data analysis tools (e.g. Excel, R, Python)
- Proficiency in statistical methods: collecting, summarising, analysing, and interpreting variable numerical data
Desirable skills and experience
- Previous work for a national news publication
- Experience with one or more programming languages (such as R or Python)
- Knowledge of Adobe Illustrator or similar programs used for the creation of digital graphics
About the team
Interactive or digital storytelling teams are increasingly common in newsrooms. We focus on using data and visuals to go the extra mile, creating the rewarding content that makes a reader want to become a Times and Sunday Times subscriber and, when do, stay one.
Please apply by completing the application form below with your CV and covering letter by 5 August.
Apply for The Times & The Sunday Times, Interactive Journalist
Already uploaded your CV? Sign in to apply instantly