NBC News Digital, Homepage Editor - Part Time
NBC News Digital is looking for an experienced editor to produce its homepage on a part-time contractor basis in its London bureau.
The successful candidate will possess a deep knowledge of U.S. and global affairs and be responsible for curating the NBCNews.com homepage. They will boast a strong understanding of stories that resonate with an American audience and have plenty of ideas about how to show them off.
The homepage editor will also work closely with news editors to generate story ideas, produce articles, and write and edit breaking news emails and mobile alerts.
The ideal candidate will understand the importance of SEO and have experience using analytics tools to inform story placement and production. They will excel at writing sharp, creative and compelling headlines and have an eye for powerful images.
Applicants must be eligible to work in the U.K.
- Curate content on NBCNews.com's homepage, mobile site and app, balancing our signature mix of hard news and feature stories, as well as stand-out photographs and videos
- Proofread, copy edit, and produce articles to ensure best SEO and user experience
- Write headlines and summaries for the homepage, search and social, including A/B testing
- Collaborate with photo editors to best illustrate stories
- Write and edit breaking news emails and mobile alerts
- Monitor analytics to inform story placement, production and commissioning
- Write and edit breaking news, when needed
QUALIFICATIONS / REQUIREMENTS
- At least five years working in a newsroom environment, including experience with breaking news
- Sound editorial judgment under pressure and the ability to change footing quickly and multitask when news breaks
- Strong attention to detail as well as an understanding of the mix of stories needed to ensure the highest quality news presentation on desktop, mobile and app
- Skill set of a front-line news editor — a news junkie with a breadth of knowledge about national and international stories, an ability to copy edit, and experience with digital publishing in a content management system
- Working knowledge of digital media technology, particularly content-management tools
Apply by completing the application form below. Applicants must be eligible to work in the U.K.