Express Newspapers, Health Editor
Reporting to: Editor-in-Chief
Health Editor wanted to join the editorial team. The perfect candidate will be passionate about health and be up-to-date with the latest developments and discoveries within the field.
Key Duties & Responsibilities:
- Supply live ideas every day based on the morning’s news and exclusive leads from contacts.
- Commission features – with comprehensive briefs and provide high-quality, clean copy with the right tone for the health sections of the Express, to deadline every week.
- Personally write, rewrite and edit copy to a high standard and with the right tone for the sections every week to deadline. All copy should be accompanied by suggested headlines, a sell and subheads where appropriate – in keeping with the tone for each section.
- Write features and news pieces when required, to a high standard and to deadline. Write health breakout boxes to accompany features/news when requested.
- Provide a list of great ideas at weekly features meetings for the pages they are responsible for, across the Express.
- Commission relevant but interesting pictures with comprehensive briefs and liaise with the production and picture desk to deadline.
- Maintain a stable contacts list of good freelance writers.
- Keep up with the zeitgeist on health trends/fads, from contacts, publishers, PRs and worldwide media.
- Organise flat plans several weeks in advance and liaise with production regularly.
- Edit and file copy two weeks in advance as standard.
Required Key Skills (functional/technical):
- A skilled writer with a strong understanding of news reporting and story structure.
- The ability to work well under pressure.
- The ability to multi-task and prioritise effectively, with excellent diary management.
Required Qualifications / Experience:
- Previous experience in a fast-paced newsroom.
- Excellent contacts with specialists, key players, politicians, charities and think tanks.
- NCTJ Diploma or equivalent.
This job description is not exhaustive and merely acts as a guide to the duties to be performed. The job description may be amended to meet the changing requirements of the organisation at any time after discussion with the post-holder.
How to Apply:
If you are interested in this position, please email your CV and covering letter by completing the application form below.
Apply for Express Newspapers, Health Editor
Already uploaded your CV? Sign in to apply instantly