The Independent, Deputy Editor - Voices
The Independent is looking for a deputy editor to join its award-winning Voices desk.
The successful candidate will be a team player with an excellent and diverse contacts book, a passion for representing varied opinions on the biggest news stories of the day, and a good knowledge of all aspects of digital journalism including social media and SEO. You will act as deputy to two co-editors who job share, and will be expected to run the team in their absence.
The right candidate will have leadership experience and will feel comfortable managing a busy national desk with a demanding daily output. We are looking for someone who can work fairly and diplomatically with people who might hold opposing views to their own; who prides themselves on snappy headline-writing and excellent copy-editing; and who can engage new audiences in innovative ways.
- Supporting the editors as a member of a close-knit team delivering a diverse list of opinion pieces
- Suggesting ideas for news-hooked articles each day, commissioning our world-class columnists and bringing in new writers
- Deputising for the editors during absences and holidays including attending daily news conferences and other meetings to represent the desk when needed
- Writing opinion pieces, bringing a distinctive style and new audience to the desk
- Helping to organise speaking events, commission podcasts and direct video journalism
- At least five years’ experience working in comment journalism or news analysis for a mainstream newspaper or news website
- Proven track record in building new audiences and introducing exciting writers to a digital space
- Strong understanding of social media
- Resilient and friendly in a busy newsroom with competing demands
- Confident in working with high profile names in British journalism and reaching out to politicians and prominent public figures
- Experience using a CMS
- Excellent writer, with the ability to turn around an opinion piece at short notice
- Happy to communicate across different desks and mindful of how an opinion story can collaborate with news, video, features and any other section
- Good at timekeeping and used to work fast and with accuracy
- Experience of working on video journalism and/or podcasts, in addition to written journalism
- Qualification or training in media law and ethics
- Ability to use Trello, Slack, Chartbeat and other similar digital tools
Apply by completing the application form below.
Apply for The Independent, Deputy Editor - Voices
Already uploaded your CV? Sign in to apply instantly