Evening Standard, Digital Celebrity, Society & Party Editor
Reports to: Head of Digital Features
ESI Media is an innovative multichannel media business. Our brands include the Evening Standard, The Independent and London Live. We have offices based in the UK and US.
The Evening Standard is one of the leading publications in the UK with a heritage that spans nearly 200 years and a reputation for quality content. Its global digital readership continues to expand.
The ES Digital Features team:
The Evening Standard’s Digital Features team incorporates three key pillars: Lifestyle, GO London and Shopping with a soon to be launched pillar focusing on celebrity, VIP society and style content. Each section is committed to delivering the latest news, reviews and features on the newest trends and topical issues. We deliver quality cross-platform content for a global urban audience.
The dynamic, fast-growing team covers a wide spectrum of subjects from restaurants and bars to fashion, travel, tech and fitness. We also champion the arts and entertainment.
- This role will suit an ambitious strong leader that has substantial experience in managing, motivating and leading a team
- A resilient individual with a passion for content that focuses on celebrities, royals and the VIP party scene.
- You will have worked in a fast paced editorial environment and be enthused by the challenge of working on a new project.
- You will be flexible about working hours.
The Evening Standard website (standard.co.uk) is looking for a talented digital editor with an in-depth knowledge of celebrities, royals and VIPs.
The candidate will be tasked with leading the site’s new section and will be totally immersed in the international celebrity scene, covering parties, news stories and interviews.
Working closely with the Head of Digital Features and a New York-based team, they will create a content strategy and launch plan for the standard.co.uk’s new section, taking into account daily news and long term planning, especially around events.
They will work closely with the commercial team to bring in revenue via sponsored content, partnerships and affiliates. They will be expected to bring in freelance writers, experts and influencers to boost content and social media output.
Candidates will have experience working within a fast-paced digital environment, with proven CMS publishing skills and the ability to manage a growing team. They will commission, edit and produce compelling content for a social audience, including video content.
The successful candidate will also be expected to meet traffic and SEO targets, social media and audience growth. Working a flexible schedule, including late hours to cover shows and events, as well as providing weekend cover when necessary, is required.
Key responsibilities and accountabilities:
- You will lead both our London and North American teams and be responsible for managing our daily editorial output on the new standard.co.uk section
- Creating and executing a celebrity-driven content strategy plan for a new section, that focuses on major VIP and red carpet events around the world as well as trending/social content that will appeal to a US/UK/global audience
- Oversee the growth on social media platforms including Twitter, Facebook and Instagram – with scope to start new accounts across different media.
- Commission a trusted network of freelancers and influencers to bring in extra content/traffic
- Meet traffic and commercial targets, creating reports to analyse the section’s progress
- Work closely with commercial teams to secure and develop brand partnerships and affiliate revenue
- You will be responsible for upholding the highest editorial standards and ensuring any potential legal issues identified in content is avoided
- This role will require regular travel to the US to oversee our New York team
- Responsive delivery – Work to specified traffic targets and commercial objectives
- Collaboration – ability to build and maintain positive and supporting working relationships with colleagues, helping to create an inclusive and professional work environment
- Initiative – effort to continuously update own knowledge and skill-set to support the achievement of business objectives
- Flexible – able to work in a smart, flexible and focussed way, and be open to change, while also suggesting ideas for improvements
SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Keen and comprehensive interest in all areas associated with celebrity and VIP life
- At least 5 years’ experience in digital publishing
- Proven experience of leading and managing a team
- Proven experience using data analytics including Chartbeat, Omniture and Google Analytics
- A strong contacts books of PRs, writers and influencers
- Experience in managing and commissioning freelancers
- Experience in contributing to and growing social media platforms, in particular Facebook and Instagram
- Excellent forward planning skills
- Strong understanding of SEO
- Experience of working with commercial teams on digital campaigns
To apply, please send an up to date CV along with a full covering letter by completing the application form below.
Closing date: 31 August 2018.
Due to the high volume of applications we will only be contacting candidates who have been shortlisted and progressed through to the next stage.
Apply for Evening Standard, Digital Celebrity, Society & Party Editor
Already uploaded your CV? Sign in to apply instantly