New Civil Engineer, Reporter
It is a hugely exciting time to be joining the growing New Civil Engineer editorial team. We cover the full breadth of infrastructure news, insight and project reports – at a local, national and global level.
A bold new look for our responsive website and newsletters, and a redesigned monthly print magazine, allow us to deliver news digitally and interactively, as well as present in-depth analysis of the major issues and global projects via our print magazine.
This is an excellent opportunity for a qualified journalist eager to work on nationally significant news stories ranging from the Grenfell Tower inquiry and Carillion fallout to keeping a close eye on major projects such as the High Speed 2 rail link and Heathrow expansion.
The role requires a keen appetite to break stories and develop and use contacts to great effect, as well as generating brief timely news as it happens. An aptitude for technology and social media is a must to ensure the word gets out to our readers and wider network of followers.
This is all balanced with a dual ability to create feature length, technically accurate and multi-media content. As a result the role will suit someone who enjoys variety and can manage multiple projects with multiple deadlines. It will also suit an ideas person who can empathise well with what an engineering audience needs.
- Delivering news – both brief and longer insightful and technical pieces – in a way that suits deadlines both for online and print
- Generate stories by developing contacts within the industry and attending industry events
- Writing technical and analytical longer form articles from meetings and site visits on projects at home and abroad
- A recognised journalism qualification
- Local paper experience, with a proven ability to get off diary stories and bring in exclusives
- Ability to write concisely, accurately and informatively in an engaging style
- Comfortable networking with industry
Please email your CV and Cover Letter to Emily Ashwell and Rob Horgan by completing the application form below.