The River Group, Chief Sub-Editor - Healthy Magazine, Maternity Contract
The River Group is an award-winning content marketing agency with a staff who have worked on some of the most prestigious, well-known and well-respected titles in the industry.
We produce innovative content for brands such as Holland & Barrett, Superdrug, Co-op, Weight Watchers, Princess Cruises to mention just a handful.
We’re based in a bright, airy, open planned office near Marble Arch tube, over the road from Hyde Park. We have our own private garden, which is amazing over summer!
We are currently looking for a Chief Sub-Editor (maternity contract) to work across one of our health & fitness titles.
- Manage a team of sub-editors.
- Ensuring that proofs are factually and grammatically correct.
- Set and maintain the magazine house style and work closely with the Publishing Manager to ensure the magazine adheres to brand guidelines.
- Developing an understanding of the brand and client values.
- Overseeing copy flow between the departments and ensuring schedules are adhered to via weekly meetings and liaison with heads of department.
- Working on layouts before handing first proofs to editors for internal sign-off.
- Fact checking and grammar checking.
- Providing gold standard scientific back up for any health, nutrition and wellbeing claims made in features. Compiling these sources, which requires us to be able to find and understand complex scientific research to support features.
- Preparing a list of online sources and liaising with the client about features.
- Handling client sign off of first proofs.
- Sending features to the appropriate client contacts for first stage sign off, making their changes as appropriate and finally uploading them for final sign off.
- Checking that relevant parties have seen proofs and that amends have been made.
- Preparing proofs for final sign off internally.
- Signing off the printer’s proof.
- Writing features as time allows, rewrite copy to adhere to house style, write advertorials and third-party features as required, and handle sign off of advertorials in conjunction with the advertising sales team.
- Negotiating between the needs of the brand with those of third-party clients.
- Writing heads and sells, and correctly caption images as required.
- Scheduling in extra projects, booking freelancers as required and proofreading material, such as Facebook and Twitter feeds, marketing brochures and advertising.
- Internally liaise with the features and the art department while working on proofs.
- Internally liaise with the promotions team on competitions and offers.
- Work closely with the Production Manager at repro stage and when creating schedules.
- Work with the advertising sales team on advertorials and promotions.
- Dealing with queries from dieticians and nutritionists.
- Externally liaise with the client on a daily basis and handle their queries and amendments.
The ideal candidate will currently be a Production Editor, Chief Sub-Editor or Deputy Chief Sub-Editor looking for that next step in your career.
Hopefully, you will have previously worked across consumer magazines, within men’s / women’s health, fitness, food, lifestyle, etc… Anyone that has experience working within a content marketing agency will have a definite edge or anyone with client services experience.
If you’d like to learn more about this role then please click 'Apply' now.